Goodyear Eagle GT II vs. Kumho ECSTA STX

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2002, 08:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Goodyear Eagle GT II vs. Kumho ECSTA STX

Tirerack has good deals on both right now. Anyone have experience with Kumho tires? Which would be preferred? If I remember right they both have the same treadwear and mileage rating, and similar load ratings. Any opinions?

Old 07-19-2002, 09:51 PM
Suspended For Violation of Vendor Rules
Kumho's are my next choice....

Old 09-03-2002, 02:01 PM
I'm wondering the same thing too. I can get them for about the same price as the Eagle GT 2's but I don't know anything about them. Anyone out there have any experience w/ these tires?

Thanx,

Scrib

Old 09-03-2002, 08:53 PM
For those of you that have read my post you know I have the Kumho's. I have only had them for about a week and a half but my first impression is WOW! They are awesome. They look great and handle even better. For the kumho name overall, they have always been good to me. I have always had the all terain tires on my bigger trucks, but I have never had a problem with a kumho tire.
Right now I am not too impressed with Goodyear. I have had some of the eagles come through my shop that are brand new and have what appears to be a broken belt. But as long as they are new they do have warranty. Each to his own, but at the moment, I say go Kumho.

Old 09-04-2002, 04:45 PM
For the price and compared to GY II's, I'd take the Kumho's anyday. I'm debating on whether to get the kumho's or spend a few $$ and get the Falken STZ 01.

Old 09-04-2002, 04:51 PM
Well, I actuall went with the Falken Ziex S/TZ01. Wow! These are great tires. There is such a great handling difference between these and the Firestone Wilderness HT's that were on the truck before that I feel like I put swaybars on it! What can I say, my new Falkens are Falken awesome!

Old 09-05-2002, 07:49 PM
why falkens?

Old 09-06-2002, 10:36 AM
Well, a couple of reasons.

1. I couldn't get the Kuhmo's at a local shop. I would have had to order them myself from Tirerack and then take them to a shop for mounting, etc. I just really didn't want to do that. So that left me choosing between the Goodyear Eagle GT II and the Falken's.

2. After reading several messages in the boards, I have seen mixed reviews on the Goodyears, and only positive reviews on the Falkens.

3. The Falkens have a slightly higher mileage and traction ratings. I drive about 23,000 miles per year, which is a lot when purchasing performance tires. I want to get at least 2-3 years out of them before I have drop another $550 for tires.

4. Finally, NTB carries Falken, and they will match internet prices plus $15each for shipping. With this, I could get them fairly close to the Goodyears, probably cost me around $50-$60 more than if I had purchased Goodyear.

5. Bottom line with my new Falkens: Falkens Rock! My six banger can't even make them squeal, unless turning going up hill. They corner excellent with great grip and no squeal. I feel like I put a rear sway bar on my truck just by simply going from those lowsy passenger rated Firestones to these Falkens. My new Falken's are Falken awesome! I highly recommend them!

Old 09-06-2002, 10:43 AM
I have never had the Kumho, but i would stay clear of the Goodyear's.

Old 09-07-2002, 03:09 AM
After researching for months and months, I just choose the Kumhos in 265/60/17. Why? At the Tire Rack they are $87 per tire and they are V speed rated! I repeat, they are V speed rated. I am ordering them tomorrow and making sure that f150online get "credit" for the purchase by accessing the Tire Rack through their banner ad on f150online.

Old 09-10-2002, 04:29 PM
O.K here is my story

I had a miata that I used as daily/autoX. I used Kumho's and they made a HUGE difference in wet traction and on dry ground they were even better.
On my truck, stock tire where 235/75/16 or something close. I could chirp third, and if I even thought about touching the gas in the rain I would spin all over. When I switched to 20's I got the 275/45/20 GTII's and the are awsome compared to the old ones. I cant even peel out at all now and unless I realy romp on it in the rain it wont spin. I am happy with both, but I think the Kumhos would be my next choice. I seen the guy that bought my miata about 3wks ago and still had the same tires, I look at the odmeter and I am guessing they had 35k with a lot of tread left.

I have put about 10k on my GTII's and the are wearing fine also.

I would go with Kumhos they look cooler!!!!

Old 09-10-2002, 08:55 PM
Joni Nitro,

Thanks for that info! Makes me feel better about ordering the kumhos. Mine should be here Thurdsay.

Old 09-12-2002, 12:50 PM
Just drove first 40 miles on my new 265/60/17 Kumho Escta STX, V speed rated, 51 psi, directional all season tread tires. As compared to my 265/75/16s the new tires are.................awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was apprehensive about having the balancing weight put only on the back side (have new oem F150 "buzz saw" rims that were triple chrome plated) and the fact that these are very high speed rated directional tread, I thought the ride would be very "bumpy"-its not! Very smooth ride yet more control in the steering. As well as curves that I could go drive on at only 62 miles per hour before the truck weight started shifting, I can now take going at least 80 mph!!!!!!!!! and I did'nt realize I was going that fast until I looked at the speedo (speedo actually said 83 mph but my speedo is off from the stock size 255/70/16) Don't know about crosswinds yet, but I can tell that there will be far less body roll.

Awesome tire and only $87 per tire and I got them at the Tire Rack. Remember, if you at least "click" on the banner for the Tire Rack on F150Online, you help this site pay the bills.

Last edited by iron horse; 09-12-2002 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-12-2002, 01:12 PM
Ironhorse: What was the total including shipping? My guess is around $100 per tire? Just curious. As I mentioned above, I was debating the Kumho's as well. I decided against them because I didn't want to put enough effort into finding a shop to install them for me. I also feared having a warranty claim. For me it's easier and cheaper to take my truck to the shop where I purchased and installed my Falkens to let them deal with my warranty issues. I didn't want to go through the process of having the tire removed and pay shipping to send the junk tire back to Tirerack and then pay shipping again to have another new tire sent to me.

Old 09-12-2002, 01:52 PM
Country,

I almost got the Falkens. They are a great tire! But, the ones I saw were only H speed rated. I wanted V or Z speed rated tire. But, I could not find any Z speed rated truck tires that were 28.5 inches tall to 29.5 inches tall with a tread with of 265 to 275. Infact, I only found the Pirelli Scorpion Zeros and the Kumhos that were that tall, wide and with a V or better speed rating and the cheapest I could find the Pirellis was $620 shipped!

Kumhos Escta STX 265/60/17 Purchased through the Tire Rack ad banner on F150Online.

(51 psi, all season direction tread and V speed rated)

Total price was $87.00 per tire x 4 = 348.00
$14.54 shipping per tire x 4 = 58.16

Sub-Total = $406.16
Mount./Balance/Valvestem/tax x 4 = $ 44.00
TOTAL = $ 450.16

I ordered them last Saturday and I picked the FedEx "Three Day Select" Shipping (cheapest). They were shipped Monday morning and I had them at my front door Wednesday by 4:15 pm.

I went to my local tire shop and asked if he could at least get close to that price. He said no, he would lose money. So, I got them and had him install them. I intend to use my spare if I have any manufactures defect claims.

Quick Reply: Goodyear Eagle GT II vs. Kumho ECSTA STX