Goodyear Wrangler 265/70/17 SUCK!

Old 06-29-2002, 05:12 PM
Wes
Account Suspended For Cross-Posting Unrelated Classified Ad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goodyear Wrangler 265/70/17 SUCK!

Am I the only one on the board here that thinks that the tires that are standard on the 2002 Supercrew 4x4 off road SUCK?? I have the Good year Wranger RT/s 265/70/17, I have had my truck for 4 days (yes four!) and have only been "mudding" three times and have had 2 flats!!! These tires also handle like a pile of crap in the mud? Do yall agree? What kind of tires (under $125 each) can I get that are better than these?

Wesley

Old 06-29-2002, 06:04 PM
Mudding only 3 times in the four days you've had it? What a way to break it in.....but anyway yeah I had those tires on my truck and they were terrible in the mud. I never managed to get a flat. I really dont know of any good tires that are under 125, unless you get a wholesale deal on some or something.

Old 06-30-2002, 12:59 AM
Wes,

didn't see you ask the question, but....the RT/S is about as far from a mud tire as you can get. If you're just looking for a cheap mud tire check your local tire stores for non-major brands: such as, Star, Trailbuster, Daytona. There are many off-brands of tires that are pretty decent. Don't expect the GY RT/S to take you very far in the mud. Good luck, Rich.

Old 07-04-2002, 01:02 AM
I had the GY Wrangler AT/S stock on my truck, and after I had to have my neighbor pull me out of my field twice w/ his back hoe, I got pissed off and replaced them Hoosier Radial D/Ts - same thing as the Big O XT. they cost me $600, with road hazard, mount and balance, and lifetime balance and rotation. Big Os would have been $700

The road feel is much better, but it also rides more like a truck than w/ the GYs.

Old 07-05-2002, 09:58 PM
I have the Goodyear AT/S on my 2000 F-150 Offroad. I have 23,000 miles on them and have had no problem. I went to Reno twice last Winter over snow packed roads crossing the Northern Serria Nevada Mts. I got along great in minus 19 degree weather. I guess they are suited to different areas of the country differently. I live in Washington and have had no trouble here with them.

Old 07-14-2002, 01:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had both the RT/S's and the AT/S's on the super-cab f-150s, and hands down, the AT/S is a FAR better tire! It's still a long way from a mud tire, but it's a thousand times better than the RT/S. The RT/S is definately a road tire. Anytime the road is wet, sandy, snowy, dirty, muddy, etc, the tire would bald up real easily, and simply spin. it's a royal pain in the butt! The AT/S, on the other hand, grips all the roads I've drivenm on tenaciously! They make a little more road noise than the RT?S's did, but the traction they provide is well worth it! I also currently have the RT?S's on my Ranger, and they exhibit the same characteristics as the one from my f-150... they are excellent on dry pavement, but out of their element in anything else. Luckily, I drive the Ranger mainly on the road (daily-driver).

Now, as for the flat problem... I can honestly say that in the entire time I've had those tires, I've never experienced a flat with them. I think the more important question is WHY the tire's going flat while of-roading? Are you airing down? Are you knocking a bead off? Did you manage to whonk the rim on a rock and bend it already? Are you plowing through the turns and popping the bead off it? Are you over-revving a tire with an open diff?

Could be a host of reasons....

-Joe-

Old 07-24-2002, 07:24 AM
GIJoe has it right,

As with most tires, the GY RT/S & even the AT/S is designed maily for on road use.

If you want to do serious off-roading, get serious rubber.

Old 07-29-2002, 12:58 AM
Goodyear RT/S's

Well, let me tell you my story. In a period of 45 days I went through all five of my Goodyear RT/S's. Two died due to sidewall cuts and the other three had their center lugs pulled off the cord. Figure that one. Screamed at Goodyear and Ford for supplying a two ply tire with a vehicle advertised as a highway/off-road vehicle. End result was that Goodyear replaced the tires (at least the ones I still had possession of) for LT version of the Wrangler AT/S's. I will agree that the RT version of the Wrangler is a fine highway tire. Handles snow okay through the Sierra passes. However, the RT's can't handle rough terrain. You need a serious tire (6 ply) and able to handle low pressure for off-road.

Old 08-02-2002, 10:04 AM
i have the steeltex A/T 265/75/16 on mine and i've liked them so far in the mud and on the road and they are 8 ply with the opt to go 10. got them for 125 mounted and balanced. i had the GY rt/s and they do suck before i took them off i had a flat a week all on different tires. but like the guys are saying if you want to do real offroading move up to something like the cooper STT i think they are about 160 someone correct me if i'm wrong

Old 08-02-2002, 11:23 AM
I put on Cooper Discoverer AT's on in place of my RT/S's. The Coopers are not a mud tire, but a heck of a lot better than the RT/S's. They were $525 out the door. That is about as close as you are going to get to $125 a tire for the 17" size.
For the money these tires are great.

-jeff b.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Goodyear Wrangler 265/70/17 SUCK!