Noises...rubbing sounds...and some rambling....

Old 06-23-2002, 03:08 PM
snj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noises...rubbing sounds...and some rambling.... (UPDATED)

I've been doing the brake repair shuffle with my dealership for a couple months now. When they installed them (fronts) they worked fine for a few days then started a rubbing sound from the right front while braking. There solutions was replacing the left front pads. They told me the sound waqs the result of a "hard spot" on the padds from my driving style (commuter traffic). I drove away and within a mile noticed the problem still happening. I took the truck to a different dealer (a matter of convienence) who explained they couldn't warrantee the others work but would look them over. Sure enough they found a broken backing plate on the right side. Back to the original dealship to get it replaced. After a couple hours they found the problem (of course I told them when I brought it in what the other folks found). They replaced it and off I go. First few miles were great, almost like new.

Then I started noticing a slight rubbing sound at lower speeds (5 mph or so). It sounds louder when turning, specially left. Its not constant, and actually sounds like its hitting a high spot on the roter or something, but they say there wasn't any run-out on the rotors. Argh....

Last edited by snj; 06-29-2002 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-29-2002, 06:29 PM
snj
Thumbs up

First off, I must say that I was/am pissed as I write this.

I had enough of the brake noises and scheduled the SCrew for another visit to the dealership this AM. A diferent dealership than Theodore Robins, Costa Mesa CA. This time I went to Sunset Ford in Westminster California. All I can say is WOW. What a difference a dealership change can make.

I explained my situation with having bad experiences so far trying to get my trucks brakes working quietly (see above). The service tech wrote it up and away they went. Figuring the usual 4-6 hour wait (Theodore Robins style) I decided to leave it for the day. 2.5 hours later they called to let me know it was done and ready for pickup. Mind you I had all 4 brakes done (again) plus a rotate/balance. I also was told why the noises were happening. It seems (speculation on Sunset Fords part, which the techician put in writing on the service form) that the previous tech used something akin to a hammer to seat the pads into the calipers. Yep, a hammer. This caused the chatter plate to brak from the pad, as well as uneven pressure against the rotor. Since they didn't seat properly the pads were worn heavy on tops, near nothing on bottoms.

So far, approx 75 miles later, no noise, squeaks, squeels or noise of any kind. Just a nice smooth braking operation.

SO I have to ask the question, how does one go about getting to the Blue Oval folks to lodge a complaint? Obviously I am writing a nasty letter to Theodore Robins, Costa Mesa CA (the bad dealership) asking for reimbursement, but I doubt they have the integrity to honor that.

Scott

Last edited by snj; 06-29-2002 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-03-2002, 07:30 PM
snj
noises....rubbing sounds......and some moonroof stuff

Well, the saga continues. I was in the shop for a LOF and mentioned that the brakes were still making a slight noise. The tech lubed some parts and double checked things which seemed to help. Within a week it was worse than earlier. So back to the dealer this Saturday it went. The same tech got the vehicle torn down again and was checking the runout on the rotors when he notices a bit of oil/grease coming from the bearing seal area. Sure enough the seal was shot. Unfortunately they had to keep the truck until Monday, but this sounds promising. It was most evident when the driving conditions caused the pads/rotors to heat up. The tech is thinking this may be when the grease seeps out and I'm hearing the bearing surface starting to wear. Any ideas? Does this sound realistic? I do have to say, it does seem logical given that it is only the RF corner I've had repeated probs with, but hey.....who knows.

Also, the cross brace in the moonroof decided to come loose. I was on the way to work and slid the shield back when it hit the cross brace it knocked the brace loose. Has anyone else seen this happen? Seems strange to just have 2 little screws holding that cross brace.

Scott

Last edited by snj; 11-03-2002 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:39 PM
snj
Wow... got thr truck back today and it is smooth once more. I also noticed it doesn't wander anymore, the front end seems nice and tight now. Oddly enough it took 2 days to get a new hub assembly, but it seems worth it. Thank god for an extended warranty with small deductable....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Noises...rubbing sounds...and some rambling....