Where is RABS Control Module?

Old 06-15-2002, 12:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Where is RABS Control Module?

I'm tyring to troubleshoot my "ABS" and "Brake" lights illuminated on my '97 F-150 4x4. The troubleshooting guide I'm using helped me to get the trouble code (4), but the next step is to check the wiring on the RABS control module. All the guide says is that it's located in the center of the dash, but I sure can't seem to locate it. Any one know of a good guide or, better yet, web site that shows the location of ABS components? Thanks.

Old 06-24-2002, 10:35 AM
rabs module

I have a 98, and my rabs module is mounted below the master cylinder. I have a question for you. Where did you find the RABS diagnostic connector to test for the codes?

Old 06-27-2002, 03:30 PM
RABS is located is center of dash.

I have a 1997 and I just took it out of my truck. It is in the center of the dash, up at the top. The place that it sits is the #4 peice in the dash. It has a braket that you can unscrew to get it out (3 screws). I just looked it sits right between the two center A\C vents.

Last edited by fordfreak4.2; 06-27-2002 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-27-2002, 06:16 PM
Lightbulb RABS Items

I finally located the RABS control module by removing the access cover on the dash and using a mirror and flashlite to look back inside the dash. It's on the far left side of the access hole and is back in several inches and up almost to the top of the dash when accessed this way. This looks like the easiest way to access the plug connector for diagnostic purposes. I had already tried to get at it by removing the stereo, but I didn't go so far as to remove the mounting chassis from the dash. I assume this is how you would access it for removal.
I retrieved the diagnostic code by removing the passenger side kick panel (right in front of the door sill on the passenger side) and locating the plug connector with a red/black wire connected to a orange/black wire. When you unplug it, you use the orange/black wire to retrieve the code. Simply turn the ignition on and ground the orange/black wire for at least a second (don't ground the red/black wire - it'll blow the fuse). Your ABS light on the dash will then blink the code. Mine was three short and one long flash (code 4). The Haynes ABS Manual (all but useless) says this is a "Closed RWAL valve switch". Leave the plug disconnected while you turn off the ignition to clear a transient code.
After going through the Mitchell diagnostic procedure for code 4, which basically has you do a continuity and short check for the wires going to the RABS control valve (located under the master cylinder), my next step is to replace the RABS control valve (NAPA part number 570087 - $169.36 + $35 core). Before I shell out the bucks, does anyone have any experience with this code or problems with the RABS control valve? Since the system can only display one code at a time, could this be masking another problem?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where is RABS Control Module?