M/T's good on highway? Need pics also

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2002, 02:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question M/T's good on highway? Need pics also

I just bought a 2000 F150 sport 4x4 extended cab with the factory 17 sawblades. I want to put on larger tires but there are so few makers of the 305/70/17 A/T (33/12.5/17) that I am now considering going to a Mud Terrain to get the size and variety I am looking for. I don't do much offroading and it will be mainly highway driving. Are the mud terrains really noisy on the highway? I also live in Canada and there will be alot of driving on hardpack snow on highways. How will the mud terrains perform? Anyone with similar experiences? What are some of the brands I should consider?
Also if anyone has pics of this size it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-11-2002, 09:38 PM
I replaced my 265/17 RT/S "hockey pucks" with the 275/17 AT/S Goodyears. So far I'm very satisfied with their wet/snow/ice performance. The difference was like night and day.

The AT/S is very pricey though for what you get.

They are also about 5-10% noisier on the hwy than the RT/S.

I can imagine most M/T treads will be even louder. Consider putting damping materials in your cab to quieten it down.

Anything for these 17inch rims is damn expensive.

Dissappointingly they don't look any more impressive than the OE size even though it's almost an inch larger overall diameter.

If I was doing it again I'd get another set of 16.5 or 16 inch rims with 33's and swap each set on the truck depending if it was winter or summer or if I was doing a lot of hwy.

Your gas mileage is gonna suck with larger tires too unless you re-gear numerically higher 3.73 or 4.10 but you can't compensate totally.

Old 06-11-2002, 10:25 PM
Thumbs up MT's

I run my muds all summer and I haven't noticed the ride being any worse and the noise isn't noticeable. I'd run them in the winter too but my rims are polished and all the salt we use around here would destroy them if I didn't take them off. My mileage dropped off but I'd have to say that is a function of the lift and the tires combined. Hope this helps.

Bob

Quick Reply: M/T's good on highway? Need pics also