Help With Speedo Got A Ticket Today

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2002, 12:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help With Speedo Got A Ticket Today

I got pulled over today, the cop said I was going 50 in a 40. I actually wasn't paying attention, I just replaced my stock 17inch tires and put 285x70x17 would this have changed my speedo I thought when I looked down I was going about 45. I guess my question is where can I get it recalibrated and could I possibly beat the ticket. The tires are 2 inches taller and probably over a inch wider. Thet are goodyear m/t. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 06-10-2002, 12:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you put those big tires on, you now cover more distance with less rotation of the tire. Your axle now does not need to turn as fast to produce the same speed as it did with the smaller tires. Therefore, your speedo records a slower speed.
I don't have any specific advise with respect to where to calibrate your speedo, although I believe most certified inspection stations would be able to do it. If Virginia is like Maryland, than many garages will have a state inspection registration number posted on the front of their establishment. If you go to one of these places, have the speedo recalibrated, and show proof of the work (including how "off" it was), you MIGHT get the benefit of the doubt with the judge. If nothing else, it shows your intent on obeying the speed limit in the future. This, coupled with a good driving record (if that is the case), may just get you off the hook. Judges are usually impresssed with the guy that puts in the extra effort. And yes, I've seen this plan work many times, however, it is often the guy whose speedo is off due to no fault of his own. And yes, the judge will have heard it before.

Quick Reply: Help With Speedo Got A Ticket Today