2WD in Mud- Can a Tire Make a Difference?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2002, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2WD in Mud- Can a Tire Make a Difference?

After getting stuck in some pretty good mud today with my 2WD and 15 inch all season tires, I'm wondering if a tire could have made a difference.

I wasn't "looking for trouble" in 4WD-land. I was just taking some dirt roads I know and hit some well-hidden deep mud spots which were enough to suck up my Cooper Cobras and pack them tight with muck. I got myself out, with a lot of back-breaking work- no tow.

I am well aware that Cobras are intended for all season ROAD use. I just wonder if All Terrain T/As or Cooper Discoverers on the same 2WD truck would have made a big difference.

What's the opinion around here?

I do most of my driving on paved roads, without a doubt. But it would really stink if I tried to avoid any hint of mud or sand on the occassional hunting or camping trip.

Thanks.

Old 06-09-2002, 10:23 PM
yes a tire can make a difference, BFG A/T's are great tires, and they are nice and quiet on the road too!! I personally think that a tire can make a huge difference!! But its just one mans opinon!!

Old 06-10-2002, 01:18 AM
I agree, a tire can make a huge difference in traction. You just have to plan ahead and buy the type of tire for the worse conditions you might encounter. A BFG is nice but they are very pricey and is almost over doing it. You might want to also look into Pro Comps, Bridgestone Duelers, or a meaty version of the Cooper ( they make a ST version that is close to a BFG in tread design).

Old 06-11-2002, 05:30 PM
Thumbs up

Bighog,
I just purchased a set of Nitto Terra Grappler All Terrain tires and I love 'em. I guess Nitto is new to the Light Truck Tire market so I was a little hesitant at first but after driving all over on them last weekend I highly recomend them to anyone.

Old 06-11-2002, 08:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cooper

I have some Cooper Discover S/T's and they defiantly help a lot! However, I have 4x4. But when i had my old tires... (Just some generic passenger tires) I could defiantly tell the difference between my new coopers.
Just my .02 cents.

Old 06-11-2002, 10:42 PM
Well, I thought about it a lot and decided, I didn't get my truck only to be unhappy with my tires or afraid to take a slightly muddy path to a fishing spot!

I ordered a set of Cooper Discoverers in almost the same size I had in the Cobras - they will be about an inch taller.

I guess I'll have to try and sell the Cobras to recover some of my cash. Oh well, more important to be happy with my truck! And of course, another inch won't hurt anybody.

Thanks.

Last edited by BigHog; 06-13-2002 at 10:43 PM.
Old 06-13-2002, 09:18 AM
Read this thread, tires make a HUGE difference.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...threadid=75063

Quick Reply: 2WD in Mud- Can a Tire Make a Difference?