Painting Brake Calipers - Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2002, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Painting Brake Calipers - Question

Hey guys, I have a car show on saturday, so I'm going to be painting my brake calipers on wednesday. I already have the paint i just have a few how-to questions. The paint i got was high temp engine paint so it should hold up to the heat. I did'nt wanna take the calipers off though, and i don't want any overspray so i was wondering if i could spray it in a containor and brush it on. I don' t really care if it holds up forever, but i don't want it to come off in a week or so. Any tips or anything for painting them??? Also, can i paint the outter edge of the disc, where it gets all rusty? and should i clean the calipers with alchol before i paint them? Thanks for the help and any tips/suggestions

Old 06-10-2002, 10:40 AM
I painted mine red using a single stage enamel, all I did to prep the brake was spray a lilttle water on the caliper and whatever else you plan to paint than wipe clean with a rag. to apply i used a 1 inch foam brush and dabbed it on the caliper, the foam is like a sponge and you can get the paint to run into the hard to reach areas. i would'nt worry about removing the caliper any paint that you get on the rotor will wear off with a trip around the block

Old 06-12-2002, 11:12 PM
I did them today

Here's the pic of the unpainted caliper

Here's a pic of it painted ( i did the caliper, center *** thingy in the middle of rotor, and the edges of the disk to cover up the rust) Any of the paint that got on the disc itself already wore off just from pulling my HD out of the drive on the one side of my house, into the drive on the other side so it looks a little better now

And here's a pic of it with the rim on. It looks a little grayish in the pic, but its more silvery in person. Its flat silver though cuz that's all they had in high temp paint, but it looks better than unpainted. I'm gonna head out to homedepot 2morrow and pick up some gloss silver rustoleum and redo them later sometime, but its good enough for the show on saturday.

Anyway, i just bought high temp engine spray paint, and sprayed it into an empty little jar. I used half a can for the 4 calipers and center **** things, and edges of discs, but about 2/3's of that was overspray trying to spray it into the container. But i did that on the other side of my house so none of the overspray would get on my HD. Then i just brushed it on and it worked great after i cleaned the brakes with water and then alchol. A little watery, but it made it easier to get into the tight spots.

more pics in my gallery. O yeah, i noticed little SVT stickers on my front springs. Thought it was pretty neat.

Thanks for the help

Quick Reply: Painting Brake Calipers - Question