Brakes already?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2002, 12:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Brakes already?

The last few days have me a bit perplexed... My truck has started to squeak when I apply the brakes. I am not a brake expert, nor for that matter an expert with anything automotive; but I am thinking it is time to get in and get the brakes checked out. It is true that I do drive my truck as much as I can, and I live in probably the worst city in the world for brake life; but the thing that is bothering me is the possibility my truck may need brakes with less than 14K miles on the odometer...

Anyone have anything to share? I mean they only squeak a little under slight pressure but you can hear them when they are engaged make sort of like a "hissing" sound. ABS is working fine, with all of the idiots that are on the road I have unfortunately had a chance to test that out over the last few days on a couple occasions... Oh well maybe all the hill driving and stop and go traffic really did a number on my brakes, but it also seems to me that 14,000 miles is a bit too short lived!

Old 05-27-2002, 10:19 AM
looksee

it wouldn,t hurt to "looksee". but if everything looks fine then clean the brakes down with some brake cleaner then disassemble and apply anti squeel to the back of the pads. when you look at the pads if they look as if they,ve been overheated and have cracks along the surface then you,d better get ,em done. cause right now would be a lot cheaper,than later.

Old 05-29-2002, 02:47 PM
Wouldn't hurt to look at them. At 14k it seems way early though. At 70K i haven't even had to think about changing brakes yet.

-jeff b.

Quick Reply: Brakes already?