Bigger

Old 05-20-2002, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bigger

I just bought a 96 f-150 4x4 auto and want to make some changes. I have two goals - appearance and fuel economy. The truck is very standard with 15" xlt rims and what looks like the normal 28 \ 29" tires.

Is there a certain lift kit \ whlle size that is really good for some pulling on highways and fuel economy? I want about a 3" lift for appearance \ clearance (some light off-road, but sometimes need to get through some real crap) and think that 31 \ 32" tires would give me a little extra mileage without killing ratio too much.

Is is a bad idea to get 31 \ 32" tires to fit my current 15" factory rims, or should I get bigger rims?

I am also open to hearing other ways to improve my mileage. (It sucks, as you may know.) I have a cap, have been told that "air induction" might be good, and hope that the tires might help too. Any suggestions? V-8 5.0, I think. Definitely the smaller v-8.

Thanks,

Mickey.

Old 05-20-2002, 03:42 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking Welcome rubujou:

A couple of things....

I'm not all that familar with the sizes for the stock 15" wheels, but in general, you should be able to get taller tires and still use the stock wheels (within reason, of course). I'd guess you could go to a 31x10.50x15 with no problems and no lift.

Any taller, and I'd say you will be looking at trimming or lifting. Anytime you increase the height of the tire, you WILL change the final gear ratio. This change "could", in theory, help your highway mileage, but usually, you won't be able to tell. It's a "give and take" compromise. In order to "give" you a taller tire, it'll "take" away some gear (and mileage too).

In my case, I've got 3.55 gears and went from a 29" tire to a 31" tire. It changed my speedo some, which I corrected, but I could tell it "bogged" some off the line. Not much, but enough to tell. My mileage has stayed basically the same and I figure I can still haul/tow what the specs say I can. I'll have to follow the slightly less figures for the 17" wheels, because mine are now the same size that come on the Off Road Package rigs (17" wheels with 265/70/17 tires).

Also, you'll be surprised to know that a cap will actually hurt your overall mileage. Due to the added weight and the way the air flows over the back. It creates more vacuum directly behind the truck/cap which creates more drag. A lot of physics involved, but that's what I've read.

Old 05-20-2002, 03:50 PM
Thank you Mitch.

Thank you for the information. It did seem to ride a lot lighter with the gate off than with the cap on. I just want 18mpg!

Old 05-20-2002, 05:43 PM
you can fit up to i believe a 33x12.5 without having to lift your truck and they fit good in the fenderwells and make it look real nice

Old 05-24-2002, 11:51 PM
33x12.50 15" will fit on your truck with no lift. It may rub "slightly" when turned fully left or right and on unlevel ground. In this situation, my old truck (very similar to yours) with the 33's would rub the frame just a tad. not a problem at all, though. I don't know what width stock wheels are in 96, though. If they are 7.5" or wider, I think 33x12.50 will fit and work just fine for you. I had 10" wheels, but I don't think that would have lessened the rubbing much over the 7.5" width wheel.

If you do go with the 33's, your speedometer should be off by 10 m.p.h. on the slow side at 55. (If it shows 45, you are actually going 55 m.p.h.)

Good luck with your "new" truck

Last edited by RebelYell; 05-24-2002 at 11:57 PM.
Old 05-28-2002, 11:49 AM
Thank you Mitch.

Just dealing with a tranny problem, for now. Thank god for warranties. The tranny man at the dealer where I bought it confired my fears. He said that the case is warped and the rear shaft is moving. I hope that I should be happy!

Old 05-29-2002, 02:20 PM
Thumbs up To MitchF150

I just saw 31x10.50x15 tires on the same stock rims on a Bronco. Perfect.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bigger