Quick brake and anti shim quest.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2002, 12:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Quick brake and anti shim quest.

I bought a set of front brake pads for my 1998 F150 2x4 5.4L and they just came with the pads. I bought them from a local Auto Zone and they just gave me some grease to go on the back on the pads, that doesnt work for anything. I later found out that most people have something called anti-shim clips or something of that sort. Where can I get them from? Should auto Zone or pep boys sell them?

Old 05-18-2002, 08:36 PM
You could probably get them from the dealer for like $15. You can reuse the old ones as well. It is also possible that your truck doesn't require any shims or anti rattle clips. BTW i do recommend using the silicone grease they gave you, all you need is a thin bead across the back of each pad, it will keep the brakes from squeeling.

-Jon

Old 05-27-2002, 08:48 PM
and then it was black

when you tire of washing off the black dust from the zone parts,then do this, pull the rotors and have them miked if near tolerance and you have the bucks, get some stainless rotors and some ceramic pads, no more dust(although it is now very white and very light) unbelivable stopping power, and long wear.

Old 05-27-2002, 11:50 PM
Stop going to AutoZone. Visit your local Advance Auto Parts (may be named Discount Auto Parts in deep south). You can buy shims for your pads for a couple of bucks. Ask them to show you a pair of WearEver Silver and Gold pads for your model truck. Flip the pads over. The more "expensive" Gold pads have shims. So do most all the Bendix pads. Specify the Bendix next time. They are listed as "OE Replacement" for our trucks. Great pad if you're not going to spend the big dollars for ceramic. They also sell a little tube of Brake Quiet for a couple bucks. And Ford4Ever is correct. Your model may not take anti-rattle clips.

Quick Reply: Quick brake and anti shim quest.