Cooper tires anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2002, 09:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cooper tires anyone?

OK - I am just about to buy my new truck FINALLY, and am going to be getting rid of the stock tires first thing. What is coming on the truck (2002 F250 CrewCab 4x4 ORP) is LT235/85RX16Eall seasons. I want to go to something a little more suitable for off road. I want something that is not going to be too harsh on the street, nor too loud, but that will perform well in mud (not deep gumbo mud or anything, just your average run of the mill mud, with maybe some red clay from time to time). The dealer I am working with now has two local places that he works with to get new tires on vehicles that they sell. One of the places is a Cooper store (there is a Cooper plant in town, and I might be able to line up a good buddy deal). I wanted to know if anyone has info on how Coopers perform. If you do, please tell me the tire model (and size, I guess) and your thoughts on it.

Also, I don't know what size I can safely go to without worrying about rubbing or anything. The truck will be equipped with a V10 and the 3.73LS.

TIA

Old 05-11-2002, 04:00 PM
I bought a used 97 that came with Cooper Discoverer AT's 265,75,16's. They handled very nice all around, mud snow,sand, highway. Looked very good as well. However they wore out in about 25K. No peel outs, hard conrering just everyday truck use in New England. The replacements I put on were the BFG AT/TA's after reading much discussions here.
Good Luck with your choice.

Old 05-11-2002, 09:13 PM
I hate Cooper Tires. The company is exceptional but their tires suck. Here is my story:

I got my truck with bald general tires and opted to get new tires myself rather than have the dealer put some on at my expense. I decided to put on Cooper Weathermaster (ST's I think they were). Well about a year went by and they were wearing kinda bad but not really bad and then I get a wheel wieght lodged in my tire and before I can stop the tire blows up. I go to the tire store and they say they will replace it for free (that is the normal policy). Well after weeks of waiting I find out that the weathermasters have been discontinued. So I am offered a pro rate into another tire. I say that is great so I go and get the Discover AT's (all the above tires were 235 75 r16 BTW) anyway after another long wait I find out someone screwed up and the tires werent even ordered. I write a real nasty letter to Cooper at their PR email and promptly get a phone call the next day. The guy confirms the tires were not ordered. So after I finally get them ordered and finally get them put on FREE I got a whole set free. About 8 months later and around 12,000 miles the Discovers are completely gone no tread left. So I go ahead and bought BFG Lontrails (same size) I have had those tires on for about 8 months 12,000 miles and cant even tell any wear, their are even some of those little tags on them.

Short answer: Cooper tire company is great but Cooper tires suck and I love my BFG Longtrails.

Old 05-11-2002, 10:59 PM
Thumbs up TOTALLY DISAGREE

I took off the crappy goodyears that came on my 99f150 and replaced them with Cooper LT245/75R16. I am now driving a replacement (another story) 2002 and I liked these tires so much that I had them taken off of my 99 and put on the new 2002. The tires have 14K on them and they have worn great. Keep in mind these are truck tires on a TRUCK (LOAD RANGE E) Look it up if you don't know enough about tires! I WOULD BUY THESE AGAIN IN A MINUTE. Super traction in snow without the 4X4 engaged. Let it be noted here -- I rotate every 5000 miles. Tires look almost new!!!! Also the tires are the AT's and I drive like a responsible ADULT, as I am 54 years young, and usually have one of my 7 grandkids in the truck with me. My only question is that if this truck is coming with load range E tires on it -- why would you want to replace these? They are tough truck tires and are designed for heavy use? the F150's come with "CAR" tires on them standard. The only way you get "LT's" on a F150 is with a $5hundred some option.

Last edited by Markmizzou; 05-11-2002 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-11-2002, 11:07 PM
Cooper Opinion

My dad put Coopers on his 2500 Dodge and they were totally bald in less than 25000 miles. He rotates regularly.

I have BFG AT KO 285/75R16 on my 2001 F250 and have 60k on them. Plus I had them on my Dodge for about 5000 miles before that. I will get another 10k out of them.

I will go to 295 BFG AT KO's next time. They are the perfect size for the Superduties. I put them on 50% of the Superduties I sell and I have only had a couple rub at full lock.

Jeff-So how did thing work out?

Old 05-12-2002, 02:59 PM
Thanks for all the replies - definitely some food for thought.

Markmizzou - The reason I would be replacing the tires in the first place is because the truck is equipped with the stock LT235/85RX16E BSW all-seasons, and they won't cut it for me. My '00 SD had the bigger all terrains on them from the factory, and they were marginal at best.

Marty - I think it is gonna work out pretty good. I emailed you a couple more questions a minute ago, but I think it is basically a done deal except for a little haggling over tires and such.

Quick Reply: Cooper tires anyone?