ABS Fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2002, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ABS Fix

2000 F-150 w/55K. ABS light comes on and goes off after a period. I am told that Ford has had a problem with the rear wheel sensor. I understand it can be replaced or cleaned. Question......has anyone done this? If so, maybe a little coaching, please?

Thanks

Old 05-06-2002, 11:00 AM
I've read here in another thread that the sensor is bolted right to the rear axle. There should only be one sensor on the axle with a wire going to it. Probably held in my a bolt or two. Replacement is easy. Unbolt it, disconnect, connect new one, bolt it in I think.

I'm not sure if it's a magnetic, electronic or visual sensor. Probably visual so there may be a small lense to clean.

Haven't done it myself though. There is a special wheel in the ring gear where this sensor reads from.

Last edited by p_ferlow; 05-06-2002 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-06-2002, 10:18 PM
Thanks. I'll give it a shot and let you know what happens.

Old 05-09-2002, 07:17 PM
rear sensor

its magnectic,first make sure your connection is clean with a small spray of contact cleaner and let it dry before you reconect also make sure the connection up front at the brake cylinder is good also and then run it down the frame to make sure it,s not been snagged and cut

Old 05-29-2002, 06:54 PM
Smile Fixed it

Finally got to the dealership to get the part (sensor). Needless to say, the major auto parts joints didn't carry the animal. That surprises me due to the sheer number of these units that go bad. The local Ford parts man sez that Ford reccomends that they stock 21 of these sensors!!! At any rate, cheap 10 dollar fix, took less than five minutes to R & R (took longer to find the 3/8 socket). Thanks for the help, guys.

Quick Reply: ABS Fix