33's and brakes dont feel right now

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2002, 02:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 33's and brakes dont feel right now

I put 305 70 16 M/T''s on and now when I have to break hard it doesnt seem to stop. Is this normal or do I need to upgrade the brakes?

Old 04-24-2002, 02:47 PM
You really went up a few sizes, and you have the same result that everyone has....the bigger tires act like flywheels and keep the truck going....

You will also notice at least a slight decrease in gas mileage and performance, since you changed the final drive ratio of the truck...

It happens to all of us, but it sure looks great, doesn't it???

There are brake upgrades available, but most of us just live with it and enjoy the new look and ride!!!!!!!!

Old 04-24-2002, 03:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats normal, just basic physics. What you changed was the diameter of the tire, the weight change is very, very small. Basically you are trying to stop the truck within the same distance, ... but you have fewer tire rotations to do it in. Your brakes and rotors have to work a bit harder. It's give and take, your truck looks cool now, but has less power, and is harder to stop now.

Old 04-25-2002, 12:54 PM
Talking yup

I agree... she looks kick ***!!! Guess I will live with it. thanks

Old 04-25-2002, 01:31 PM
tlapan93,
Now I'll sound dumb... What is a torsion bar lift? I've looked a suspension lifts and body lifts, but haven't heard of this... Does it lift front and back?

Old 04-25-2002, 01:41 PM
tosion bar lift

This lifts the front only. There are 2 18mm bolts... one on each side that you can turn to crank up the front. The only down fall to this is you get a little bit more of a bouncy ride... but for 1" I will live with it.

Old 04-26-2002, 10:52 AM
kev
Try this to help your brakes:

Pull the calipers off the rotors as if you were going to change your pads. Loosen the bleeder screw on the caliper and press in the piston with a c-clamp. Don't forget to attach a line on the bleeder to feed the fluid into a cup and not spray it everywhere. Tighten the bleeder and reinstall the caliper. Top off your fluid in your brake reservoir and try that. This worked wonders on my ride. I have 35s and it stops just as good as it did with the stockers.

This method rids the brake system of the burnt fluid right next to the brake piston. THis is were the fluid gets the worst in the brake system!

Before I installed the 35s I noticed a bit of spongyness in the brake system but it wasn't too bad. I installed the large tires on and it WAS bad! I did what I said above and now it's great

kev

Last edited by kev; 04-26-2002 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-26-2002, 01:04 PM
Good idea....actually, I try to bleed my brakes at least once a year with a high quality DOT 3 fluid....it does restore some lost braking power....

Quick Reply: 33's and brakes dont feel right now