Help selecting 35" for 3" body lift

Old 04-19-2002, 11:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Help selecting 35" for 3" body lift

I own a 2000 F-150 4X4 Offroad Flairside. I am purchasing new tires next month and just can't make up my mind. I have read numerous threads and been to just about every webpage to select tires for my truck.

I am concidering the following sets: Mickey Thompson Baja Claw Radial, Mickey Thompson Baha Belted, BFG Mud Terrains and lastly the Procomp Xterrains.

I really like the aggresive look of the Baja Claws, however, I hear the Mickeys wear really quickly and that everyone that has ever owned a set of BFGs love them. What about the Procomp X-terrains?

I will be doing a lot of highway riding, but will also be taking it offroad. I live in Chesapeake Virginia and have been talking to Robert at Pungo Offroad.

Any and all suggestions welcomed...

Old 04-21-2002, 06:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have owned two sets of Mickey Thompson Baja Belted tires. They are extremely loud on the pavement and do wear quickly. I only bought the second set because I got a great deal on them. If you do a lot of haghway driving, I wouldn't recomend them. I would only put bias ply tires on a dedicated trail rig or a show truck. I have read good reviews of the Radial Claw, X Terrians, and BFG Mud Terrians. I saw a set of the X Terrians on a Jeep last week and they look much more aggressive in person than in pictures. You might also consider the Mickey Thompson Radial MTX. It is their version of an all-terrian tire. The reviews I have read on it said it performed better than most all-terrian tires off-road and drove well on the street. It is also less expensive than the others. I have been seeing the 315/75-16s advertisied at around $150 each in the magazines. I think you will be happy with any of the radials you are considering as long as you realize they will be louder and wear faster than an all-terrian tire.

Old 04-28-2002, 01:20 AM
This is my first set of mud tires, and so far I have been extremely happy with them. They are certainly louder that the stock tires, but the off road ability and amount of mud they throw is satisfying. I will definitely get another set when the time comes. (the tire guy said to rotate every 3000 to get the most out of the tire and keep them quiet- I drive about 50 miles a day to work and back).

I did see some ProComp Xterrains at my local tire shop and they make the mud tires look like a set 80,000 mile Sears Roadhandlers. Much more aggressive looking tire. They look like they have a little more tread on the ground so they might wear better than the muds. If you want an aggressive looking tire and aren’t game for the Baja Claw, take a look at the Xterrain in person. Good luck making your decision.

Old 04-28-2002, 10:13 AM
SilverScrew -
Thanks for the feedback. I actually went back to Pungo Offroad and settled on a set of the ProComp X-Terrains. I am putting on a set of the 35"s with a set of 16" American Racing "Neptune" rims. I am also getting a 3" body lift.

Link - http://www.americanracing.com/wheels...olishedNeptune

The same day, I am also putting on a Dynomax Ultraflow SI/DO exhaust with 3" chrome tips.

Everything is running me $2,500.00! Actually not to bad. It will be like driving an entirely new truck!!!

Old 05-01-2002, 12:24 AM
Awesome combo. I think I’m going to cry…..

A lifted Flairside with 35 inch Xterrains on those Netunes will look sweet, and you’ll have some rumble to get people looking. Make sure to let us know how they look.

Great purchase.

Old 05-05-2002, 12:22 AM

As you can see, I am a bit excited because I just got my tires, lift, and rims yesterday. THEY LOOK AWESOME! I went with the Pro Comp X-terrains on the American Racing "Neptune" rims as mentioned above. The truck looks awesome. I will be taking pics as soon as it stops raining and I can wash it.

You have to see these tires. They do look as nice as any I have seen. I was also surprised how smooth the X-terrains ride. They only hum just a little, but do they ever grab the road. I can't wait to get them in the sand!!!

Thanks again for helping me make up my mind. I am extremely pleased.

I was so close to putting the Mickey Thompson "****ey Cepeks" on the truck. It was a last minute decision. THey woulnd't sell them to me unless I was putting on an additional 4" suspension lift. The 36's are just too big for my truck. But man are they sweet! I am please with what I purchased.

My hat is off to all the guys at PUNGO OFFROAD!!! Robert Kicks A**!!! Thanks...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help selecting 35" for 3" body lift