Clunk Noise when braking

Old 04-18-2002, 11:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clunk Noise when braking

Help...there is a single clunk noise when medium braking. It sound like it is from the front end. This noise happens only some of the time and I can't tell if it's related to the downshifting. I have a 99 4.6L Auto. I took it in today and they inspected the complete steering and suspension front end but could not find any problems. The mechanic also drove with me and heard the clunk. If anyone has heard of this please let me know what the problem is.

Old 04-19-2002, 08:49 AM
I had a similiar situation. I recently had my rotors turned and there was a "small" nick on the top edge of the rotor. After a few stops, I would get one clunk from the right front end for every rotation of the tire. This only happened when I was applying the brakes. I replaced the pads and the noise remained. I could find nothing wrong, and finally noticed the nick in the rotor. I drove a little longer, and it wore down and all is well.

Old 04-19-2002, 05:49 PM
I had the same problem and the bolts that hold the torque member to the hub were loose. Tightened them up (18mm) and it works fine.

Old 05-17-2002, 07:50 PM
Thumbs down

No surprise if you took it to the dealer. If you're under warranty, 4 out of 5 times, they won't find the problems. I had to go in 5 times for a clunking idler arm that had been clunking for 30,000 miles before a mechanic admitted hearing it. I am not impressed with Ford service and avoid them like the plague. Find a specialized front end guy with recommendations, and you should be much better off. I am amazed how many people here are going to the dealer even after the warranty period.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clunk Noise when braking