Rotor Removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2002, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rotor Removal

Can anyone please tell me how to remove the rotors on my 1997 f150 4x4 with 80,000mi still orig.I want to replace them with slotted & crossdrilled pieces but cant seem to get them loose.
Thank you
Randy

Old 04-10-2002, 09:16 PM
I believe that once you take the caliper off all you have to do it pull to rotor off the hub. Chances are, a 5 year old rotor is rusted to the hub so it might need some persuasion with a hammer. Not a problem since your planning on replacing them anyway.

Bob

Old 04-12-2002, 01:53 AM
Here's how I did it: http://members.shaw.ca/pferlow/brake_repair.htm

Lots of WD40 and a big hammer. Let the WD soak in. Spray it liberally from the back side of the rotor between the hub and disc, also into where the wheel lugs poke through. Turn the disc while you hammer it. Use a regular hammer to smack between the lugs on the face of the rotor.

Otherwise if nothing works use a hacksaw and cut the rotor down to the hub (don't cut the hub), then cut again 180 degrees from the first cut. Apparently because they are cast iron it's fairly soft - just cut between the cooling vanes so you cut less metal. Then bang them off.

There has been talk about hubs needing replacement after 50-60k miles but can't confirm that. Ford states there is a hub maintenance service but the Haynes manual states they are sealed units, the only maintenance you do is replace them.

Good luck.

Last edited by p_ferlow; 04-12-2002 at 01:56 AM.
Old 04-28-2002, 07:43 PM
Disk Remove

check out www.fordf150.net/howto/brakerepair.htm ...gives a complete how-to step by step....sounds like a BFH is the thing to have

Old 04-29-2002, 12:34 PM
LOL

Yup. That's my article.

Old 05-22-2002, 08:29 PM
try Kroil it is an awsome penatrating oil (best I know of).

You may also need a BFH (Big F@#&%N Hammer) to convince them to come off they are shy... Liberial use of the 10 pound tweeking tool will normally do the trick...

When you replace them apply anti-seize to the back side (mating surfaces) and you won't have to beat them ever again... Why ford doesn't use anti-seize I will never know.

Jim

Quick Reply: Rotor Removal