HELP Brakes locking up!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 09:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry HELP Brakes locking up!!!

Got in my truck this morning, rolled down the driveway and then came to the first stop of the day. Just got on the brakes lightly and the a$$ end locked right up!!!! It rained all last night, but my last 2 trucks didnt do this. This is really a safety issue as the back end actually went to the side. Anybody got anything I can go to the dealer with and have them fix the issue under warranty??

Thanks.

Old 04-09-2002, 09:32 AM
I wouldn't worry about it too much since simple driving habits can adjust to it. Mine do this too. The way I've dealt with it is to make a single slow speed stop as I'm leaving the parking lot or my driveway after the truck's been parked for a while.

Ford feels that it's caused by moisture on the drums. They were re-designed to correct this.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...threadid=64169

Old 04-10-2002, 01:22 PM
Re: HELP Brakes locking up!!!

Originally posted by chizman
... the back end actually went to the side.

OMG, really?? Oh wait, my ride does this on a regular basis. Should I be concerned?

Old 04-10-2002, 06:22 PM
This is a normal problem with most of the Ford pickups that have drum brakes in the back.

There's a real long thread somewhere "brakes lock so hard the seat belt chocks you".

Suggestions are to pull your drums off and clean everything up, lubricate friction points with white grease. Chamfer the leading edge of each shoe's friction material, and finally make sure the adjusters can move freely.

Moisture mixes with the brake dust and has no place to go and turns into a sticky mud type stuff.

One driving habit that overcomes it is to ride your brakes gently for a second or two before your first stop. The little bit of heat that is generated cooks off the moisture.

Good luck.

Old 04-10-2002, 06:42 PM
My truck will slightly lock up on very rare occaissions after being out in the rain. At one time I had a 91 GMC that was terrible about the brakes locking in any wet weather. I always understood that it had something to do with the ABS.

Old 04-12-2002, 01:58 AM
Drum brakes are an inherent design flaw in themselves. There is no place for brake dust to escape.

Another trick but pricey is to have your drums "cross drilled" so that foreign matter and dust goes out the holes as they turn. Makes sense.

Old 04-28-2002, 08:55 AM
When it's cold or moist out, mine do the same thing. Just ride them a little bit, get them 'warmed up' and they work fine, I guess just to clear the drums of anything.

Old 04-28-2002, 11:59 PM
backend going round?

you try it at 70MPH seems when the odt shifts down it creats drag. did this to me in first month of owner ship and i had come upon where a rain shower had crossed the road ahead of me and so i lifted off the pedal to slow down and didnt even touch the brake and all of a sudden im at a 45 degree angle to the drivers side looking at the medium and talking to god slid about 150 feet like that then right back to straight. everyone who was behind me was now way behind me. to say the least i got a lot of thumbs up as they passed me when i stopped to clean my shorts

Quick Reply: HELP Brakes locking up!!!