BFG or GY

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2002, 01:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BFG or GY

One question: BFG MT or GY MTR? SIze 285/70/17. All opinions welcome.

Old 04-01-2002, 04:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think BFG makes a 285/70-17 yet, so I guess that narrows the choice to Goodyear.

Old 04-01-2002, 04:48 PM
Thumbs up BFG 285/70-17

The do make them in this size now and you can never go wrong with BFG's

Old 04-01-2002, 05:02 PM
my family has had two sets of gy wranglers and both sets were crap

Old 04-01-2002, 08:58 PM
i've owned several sets of bfg muds and liked them really well...decent traction and wear. i now have the mt/r's and can say my next set will be the same. better traction in the slop, wearing well, and much quieter on the road. take it for what it's worth, gy hit a homerun with the mt/r. i'll put them up against a comparably sized set of bfg muds anyday. Rich

Old 04-01-2002, 10:30 PM
Every GY truck tire I have ever owned was crap. If this mt/r is a good tire, they must have had someone else build it for them. You can't go wrong with a BFG whether it is AT or MT.

Old 04-02-2002, 12:11 AM
Cool

I have a set of the new bfg 285/70/17 they are sweet quieter than the old style and handle great on and off road they are no louder than other all terrains I have run and they are tuff as nails besides the mtr's are so overpriced it's ridiculous I went to the goodyear shop and took a look at them before I got the bfg's there list price was around 300$ a pice I said were's the gold plating ha ha

Old 04-02-2002, 01:27 PM
Goodyear MTRs are suprisingly good tires. I have had their ats and they suck bad. After doing a few runs and seeing my buddy's truck with mtrs handle just about anything I put them on my jeep. They can take some abuse. Very good in the mud, on the rocks, decent in the rain and asphalt, dono about snow, but ok on ice. Wear is as expected of a mud tire.

BFGs make good truck tires. I have ATs on my truck now and love the look and performance. MTs are a classic.

Old 04-02-2002, 02:35 PM
Goodyear MT/Rs are extremely high quality tires. I have put them through some serious mud/clay/sand/rocks and they performed better than I had hoped for. They are expensive, but quality usually costs...

Check out the tree I pulled out of some hard mud up a 30 degree hill on my pictures site. It was a blast, you can't see the hill, but you can see the tree...

Good luck...

Old 04-02-2002, 10:36 PM
the cost on the mt/r has come down considerably in the last few months. check out tire rack's prices. the 285 bfg muds are almost $40/tire higher.
don't get me wrong, i have owned many sets of bfg at and mt over the years and liked them all. i don't think the at is worth having in the south (mud), but that's my opinion. my mud may be different than somebody else's.
the bfg muds i owned did not do well in the thick mud we have in tennessee. they would clog up and look like big, brown basketballs. the mt/r seems to clean the slop better and give a much better launch.
do what you want. bfg does make a good tire, just not as good as the mt/r. again, this is my opinion. if anyone wants to see how they do, come to tennessee and i will be happy to go out into the wilds with you.
good luck with your decision, Rich.

Old 04-07-2002, 11:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My truck came from the Factory with Goodyear Wrangler AP's on it the tires done fine except in the rain my new tires I had put on in December of 2001 are BFG Longtrails and they do better in the rain than the Goodyears ever done I got 43,000 out of the original Goodyear tires they will last a long time but when it comes to driving in the rain they suck.

Old 04-08-2002, 09:23 AM
I've never had a bit of luck with GY's. I agree that the wet weather traction is scary bad. I'm tempted to engage 4wd at the first sign of rain. The dealer replaced my 4 RT/S's after 3 of them were found to be out of round. The new ones are smooth, but I still wouldn't recommend them anyone. I'll tolerate them for free, but would never pay for a GY.

Old 04-09-2002, 12:56 PM
I'm gonna put a vote in for Goodyear MTR's.
Dry/Wet/Snow/On & Off road I can't complain one bit. I think they're better than BFG Mud's I've had in the past and 10x's better than the Goodyear AT/S that came from the factory.

Old 04-10-2002, 12:51 AM
I've owned Buckshot Mudders, Super Swampers, BFG M/T's, Bridgestone Dueler M/T, Remington Mud Brutes and GY Wrangler. Of all the mud tires that I've owned, the Swampers TSL SX's pulled the best in Louisiana gumbo sticky mud. The quietest of the bunch was probably the Bridgestone Dueler M/T's. The best ones for rock crawling in my little yota was probably the Swampers or the BFG's. The longest lasting of the bunch was also the Duelers. The shortest lasting was close between the Swampers (expected) and the Remington Mud Brutes. The new Maxxis Buckshot Mudders look real nice and they have a real good price on them. I know a couple of guys who are running them and I'll see what they have to say after some good miles on them.

At Christmas time, I rolled my 99 F-150 4x4 several times returning from a hunting trip. In January, I picked up my white/graphite 2002 supercab XLT, FX4, 5.4L, 3.55 limited slip, step bars, yada, yada, yada.

Hunting season was almost over, so I didn't get any mud tires yet, but I'll be looking for some in the next 3 or 4 months. If Bridgestone makes a Dueler M/T in a 285/70/17, I'll probably get them.

P.S. I think I got the all time best deal on my F-150. Sticker was right at 33,000 and I paid 24,500!!! I had to drive a couple of hours to get it for this price, but it was obviously worth the drive.

Creole in Louisiana

Quick Reply: BFG or GY