Suggestions of best streetable mud/sand tire?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2002, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions of best streetable mud/sand tire?

I've got a 2000 F-150 XLT 4x4 ORP, which (if I'm not mistaken) came with those Goodyear RT/S tires. I live in Florida, so I've got no snow/ice issue. The only thing I do "do" is go to the beach, so I've got to deal with both sugar sand and mudlake equivalent (i.e. wet sand near the waterline that essentially has nothing but water under it).

The most important characteristic to me is streetability, plus a tire that is decent in the rain, since it rains quite a bit here. If any of you know of a tire that is more fit for sand and mud but is just as or nearly as streetable as the stock wheels, could you offer your suggestion? The only reason I'm leaning towards replacing with Goodyear is because I can get them for free....

Old 04-01-2002, 09:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would suggest BFG ATs, Bridgestone Dueler ATs or Mickey Thompson Baja Radial MTXs. Any good AT tire should work good in the sand as long as it's wide and you air them down. From the test I have read, the Mickey Thompson Baja Radial MTX is a little better in mud than most all terrian tires. If sand performance was all you were after I would have suggested the Mickey Thompson Baja Belted tires, but they wear out fast and are loud as he!# on the street.

Old 04-02-2002, 02:10 PM
For FREE??

If you can get GY MTR"s for Free.. They are a GREAT all around, very streetable mud tire that does great in the sand.. I've had mine for about 15k or so and am selling them with well over half tread left on them...

Old 04-02-2002, 05:21 PM
Re: For FREE??

klaibs27

Yes, for free. Involves a Goodyear store owner that I helped out a few years back with some inheritance issues, saved him quite a bit and he never forgot it, so I can go in and pick out what I want but I try not to abuse it.

When you say very streetable, compare them to the stock wheel for me. I mean, I don't want to be one of those trucks you can hear coming down the street before you see. How do they handle in rain? I presume the same tread that makes tires handle well in rain (narrow water lanes) makes that same tire poor in sand and mud. Therefore, my fear is that mud tires would handle horribly in rain.

BTW, there was some guy around here asking about Powertrax up front and saying they got the C clip issued fixed. I gave him your username, did he ever get in touch with you? What was the status of your front locker?

Old 04-03-2002, 09:46 AM
fairly loud

I will say they may hear you coming but that's with any mudtire...As for performance in the rain.. I can break them loose ONly in the rain. but I've never hydroplaned if that's what you're concerned about. And yes, that guy did get in touch with me, I have not heard about the retaining clip until he told me about it but now that this will be my tow vehicle, I'm going to leave the front open unless ARB comes out with a locker for 28 spline shafts. Plus, i'm not sure if I want a locker in the front with 38x15.5 tires and only a 28 spline axle... SNAP. Anyway.. The truck gets her new shoes today.. 38x15.5 R16 Parnelli jones dirt grips mounted to 16x12 weld supersingle outbacks... I can't wait.. Klaibs

Old 04-09-2002, 03:10 AM
goodyear AT/S not too agressive
characteristic two wide open groves between outer and inner tread blocks

Old 04-09-2002, 03:13 AM
Cool

BFG Mud Ta's The best tire I have ever had. I have never been stuck using these tires and they are great in the snow. They are a little noisy at highway speeds though.

Old 04-09-2002, 11:40 PM
cpadpl,

I'm with klaibs all the way here. The mt/r is one of, if not the best dual-purpose tire I've ever owned. I wish I had your same deal for the free tires. I don't get mine free, but my next set will be the same. Good luck, Rich.

Quick Reply: Suggestions of best streetable mud/sand tire?