The adapter debate - thumbs up or down

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2002, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The adapter debate - thumbs up or down

Ok... say that there's a wheel you MUST have. I mean you WANT these things on your Ford. Small problem... they don't have the right pattern. Then someone suggests using an ADAPTER. So you begin the research into companies that make/sell them. Their speeches are first rate - I mean they make it sound like this the industry standard and "everybody does it." "Can't go wrong" they say. "We the best" , "NO PROBLEMS."

Feeling confident, I ask about the wheel itself... will it hold up the weight of the Ford? What about the offset issue? Still the answers are a resounding Y E S! The adapter is also a spacer to push the wheel out. On and on and on they go.

What is the right answer? What these companies are saying, is it right? I mean some of these companies are solely in the business of making adapters. ARE there THAT many applications with the use of adapters for these companies to survive?

Thanks!

Last edited by expy_with_seoul; 03-20-2002 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-15-2003, 04:55 PM
adapter reply

hey i just got a great deal on a set of 4 chevy rims, there allot nicer than mine for a 100 bucks so sure right. Know the guy so he lets me test them, lug pattern does not work out. So i look in to adapters, like the idea, have no doubts and put them on. You can order diff thickness for how much u want to stick out, i got a 2 inch 5 to 8 bolt pattern and i love it. They fit right, i get a lil bit of stick out with some 33 12.50 17 so it all works out. I dont know bout havin them customed, dont like the idea, they mess up on puspose and dont care cuase u can return them but thats your choice. I like them, they work, but its ultimatley ur decision and it all matters on what ur truck goes through.

Old 02-15-2003, 06:38 PM
If you're going to be doing alot of faster cornering, any offroading, basically anything other than driving down the road at the posted speed limit don't get em. They won't be able to handle the stresses. Also it will change the backspacing on the wheel and you will start to run into premature wear on steering, suspension, bearings, etc. I'd reccommend not getting them and find a set of wheels for your bolt pattern.

Old 02-24-2003, 07:50 AM
i've had adapters on my truck since it was two weeks old. i bought it in 98 and it now has 137,451 miles on it. i just now have had to have work done to it. i say as log as it's five to five adapters, get them, but you can't tow anything......

Quick Reply: The adapter debate - thumbs up or down