Siping: Good or bad...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2002, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Siping: Good or bad...

Went to get a flat repaired, and the tires rotated, yesterday. Dealer talked me into getting the tires siped with promises of better traction and longer tread life. Actually, I thought better traction and longer tread life were mutually exclusive qualities. The unloaded F150 is kinda squirrelly on wet roads, so if the traction improves at all, it'll be worth the extra expense. What do you think, is siping just a "tired" old idea, trying to make a comeback? Why don't the manufacturers sipe their tires, if it's a good thing?

Old 03-13-2002, 06:33 PM
i think it depends a lot on the tire. Friend of mine got his Wrangler's siped and i thought it improved his traction. But some ppl get theirs siped and it doesnt make difference cause it was an already pretty traction tire.

Old 03-20-2002, 02:46 AM
Siped

I got my new PathFinder SUV tires siped and it feels like it is sucking the gas out of my wallet. I am not but I only have about 100 miles them but I have gone thourgh a hell of alot of gas. I do admit they hug the road like nobodies business but I am begining to wonder if my super unleaded taste can handle them...

Any other experiences like this??

TommyRox

Old 03-31-2002, 08:30 AM
Waste of money.

Old 04-01-2002, 12:24 PM
Siped tires returned.

I had just about enough of the siping. I will grant you this, the tires that I had siped Path Finder Sport SUV's had incredible traction but terrible performance and fuel efficiency. I returned them this morning to Discount Tire for a new "unsiped" set with an incident and I am happy once again with my truck performance.

TommyRox

Old 04-02-2002, 01:10 AM
I don't have any complaints about the performance of the siped tires. They'll probably wear down sooner, but since they're original equipment, I'll replace them with "real" tires when that happens.

Quick Reply: Siping: Good or bad...