Had a 20" blow up at 80mph

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2002, 12:57 PM
Banned For Violation of ***** Rules
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had a 20" blow up at 80mph

Last week I drove my Harley F150 from Waco TX to Silverthorn CO to go skiing for a week. While I was there It got so cold a few nights that when I started my truck in the mornings to "hit the slopes" (Literally since it was my first time boarding/skiing I busted *** alot) My truck made a HORRIBLE noise for about 30 seconds after starting it (dont know why).

I also noticed that once I got into the Texas Panhandle and further north the only gas I could afford was 85 octance. My truck ran unbelievable good on this gas. It never Pinged or anything. but now that im back home and still running 85 it pings like hell in this low altitude climate. (can anyone expain this). I also stopped by the ford dealership cause my truck was running weak and he told me that I should experience a 1/3 power loss up in the mountains. 9000 ft Above Sea level where I was staying.

Oh well.. But about 35 miles South of Denver (VERY COOL CITY) I was cruising at 80 (Speed Limit 75) I had my Right Rear Tire pop. I just cruised on down to a stop and put my spare on, no big deal. But Im trying to talk to the ford dealer into replacing the Wheel (Got scuffed up) tire, and bed (got beat up by rubber) under warranty. I told them what happened and they said that they are going to have to get back to me.

Have any of yall had warranty cover damages?
Why did my truck not ping with 85 octance at high Altitude?

Old 03-13-2002, 12:34 PM
Tempature??
maybe cause all the cold air you were sucking in..
91 octain is ment to burn colder and as a extra coverage..
Sleds are like this. factories jet them rich so they won't melt down.down side is preforance... I'm sure ford has thought of that and your timing is not turned as far as it could be as a safety factor just in case.
although going to higher elevations should lean out your engine?
I guess between fuel injected(and computer) + the cold air you were sucking in it was enough to keep it from pinging.

I also think the engine it made to retard the timing if it does not have the required fuel..

some one else will help I'm sure.

Old 03-13-2002, 09:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was in Albuquerque NM when I bought my chip, before I recieved it my poor truck ran like the tranny was slipping. It all has to do with altitude and the way your truck is tuned. The highest octane I could find in that city was like 89/90 octane. When I left and sarted coming out of the mountains, the engine was pinging horribly. I could not use the cruise control because when it would downshift it felt like the valves were going to shoot through the valve covers. Once I ran some 92-93 octane through it for a tank or so, the ping went away.,,,,,98

Old 03-16-2002, 01:06 AM
With higher altitude the air is thinner, oxygen is less plentiful and you need to lean out a carb'd motor or it will run too rich. I know this from jetting carbs on dirtbikes.

Your Fords computer does the same thing by analyzing the MAF.

Don't know about octane v.s. altitude though.

Experts?

Old 03-16-2002, 01:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Too bad about your blow out I hope FORD takes care of you well.

Quick Reply: Had a 20" blow up at 80mph