Dueler A/T's or Geolaner's

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2002, 12:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dueler A/T's or Geolaner's

Well I'm set on getting a set of tires that will improve my trucks handling, especially in snowy conditions. But the tire must last a long time. ( I know I want my cake and eat it too ) I'm currently looking at moving up to a set of 285's from 265's in either Bridgestone Dueler A/T or Yoko Geo A/T+. I have seen that there are a few people on the board with each. What kind of life can I expect out of either? All responses welcome. Also how do you like what you have? One thing I am interested in is how the snow traction is when the tire is 1/2 to 1/4 life left. That me that is a true test of a tires worth. I am hoping to get at least 60,000 out of what ever I get. I had a set of Goodyear AS/T's on my 150 and they were hardly worn at 42,000 when I traded it, so I do rotate and keep up with maintenance.

Also what ramifications is there if I don’t get the speedo corrected other than it will be off 2.2 MPH. When I use the Miata tire size calculator it says that my 265's RPM should be 637, but from the Firestone web site it says that the R4S's RPM is 657 and the Bridgestones 285's RPM is 633. So will my speedo be more correct now?? Sorry for the long post but I am lost without the search function. Thanks for your input.

Old 03-12-2002, 06:05 AM
Question

OK, I am throwing another question out there. What is everyone yielding for miles on their BFG All Terrains, because they may be a choice as well?

Old 03-13-2002, 11:14 AM
If you liked the Goodyear AT/S's, why aren't you looking at those? That's what I have on my '99 and at 35k, they are only about 1/2 worn. BUT, I am not happy with their rain and snow performance. When I need new tires, I will definitely go with BFG T/A - my past experience with these has been excellent.

Old 03-13-2002, 11:06 PM
the bridgestone dueler AT is an excellent tire in snow and on ice. there is a lot of siping for an AT tire and that helps a lot.

Old 03-14-2002, 12:20 AM
My 2 cents:

The BFG is a great tire that will give decent tread life and good all around traction, as well as good looks. The major stumbling block is the price. (Kind of like buying a set of Michelins) They are good tires, but for the money there are better values on the market.

The Duelers are a very good tire. Decent price, OK looks (not the most agressive looking tread), and good all around traction and a 50,000 mile tread warranty. I haven't had mine on for that many miles, but they are looking very good with about 25,000+ miles on them to date. These tires came highly recommended from quite a few folks up here in MN if that helps with the snow question. My 2wd has done pretty well with these tires also. I'd purchase them again, but it looks like I might be upgrading trucks before too long

Old 03-15-2002, 07:24 AM
My Dueler AT's are wearing well. I have what I think to be 80 or 90 kms (50 to 55 miles) and still have meat. These are my first Duelers, so I dont know how the last bit of tread wears (could be fast or slow).

The AT's are great in snow and rain, and quiet on the highway compared to the factory Wilderness HT they replaced even though they have a more aggresive tread.

As far as the aggressiveness of the tread, my 2WD has 265's and look plenty aggressive. You go to a 285, and any AT will look aggressive (based on size). If you want a real clunky look, I think you need a MT mudder tire (which are not that practical for an everyday driver).

I would buy Bridgestones over Goodyear or BFG or Michelin again in a heartbeat.

Another consideration is Pirelli Scorpion AT's. I asked about this a couple of weeks back and have heard nothing bad about them.

Old 03-15-2002, 03:49 PM
If snow performance is a concern, why are you going to a wider tire??

Old 03-15-2002, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the responses. I did go with the Bridgestone’s, and thus far like them very much. They are a little louder than the Firestones I took off, but not too much. The main reason I wanted to go to a 285 was the looks. BIG truck BIG meats. I like the way they fill up the wheel wells.
I did like the Goodyear’s for their wear, but they were noisy, and lacked wet weather traction. Plus I’ve never been a great fan of Goodyear tires.

Old 03-16-2002, 03:27 PM
I have 17K on my BFGs right now, perfect wear and awesome performance in Snow, Ice, Wet and Mud. I think they are the best out there but thats just mah .02.

Quick Reply: Dueler A/T's or Geolaner's