I need your opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2002, 06:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I need your opinions

I have a 99 F150 ORP, with a 4.6. I am thinking about getting new tires with the sale at 4Wheel Parts. I was thinking about the 33inch Pro Comp Muds. I don't have a lift and I still have the stock 17 inch wheels. And as of tomorrow I will have a Flowmaster cat-back system with no other mods as of yet.
I know you can run 33's without rubbing. My main concern is the larger tires with the 4.6 and stock gears (I'm not sure what I have?) I don't want the truck to be any slower. I was thinking about maybe a chip later on and possibly a lift and new rims depending on the money situation. So do I go with the 33 inch muds or do I go with some BFG's in the stock size or maybe some BFG Mud's in a 285?
Thanks for your help guys and any info you can pass on.
Eric.

Old 03-05-2002, 10:48 PM
33's aren't gonna slow you down mucch at all. Obviously. a beefer tire will feel a little sluggish. But a 33 is right about the same height as the 285/75/16. Plus, a 33 incher isn't really a drastic change. Maybe you can answer the question that I posted...I have a '99 as well but I cannot find any 15 inch rims to fit. Check out my post to see what I mean. To answer your question, if you are really worried about losing power you'll need to get the thing re-geared; however, with 33's I would save my money for another project.
-Blake

Old 03-05-2002, 10:57 PM
hey fellas,

i have an opinion you may not agree with, but here goes...
i wouldn't run anything larger than a 265 on a 4.6 with the stock gearing. my reasoning is this: i went from 255's to 265's on my truck around a year ago. i can really tell a difference in my low-end. lots of guys will dispute this claim, but i live it. i haul fairly heavy loads and pull a trailer often. i have noticed a huge loss when doing this. around town is not too bad, but under load big difference. i was really considering 285's for the look, they look great on a stock truck. i was worried about low-end and i'm glad i was. also, my gas mileage has dropped a fair amount, nothing major just noticeable. if you don't haul much you can probably get by with the 285's, just be sure you can afford the drop in power. good luck with your decision, Rich.

Old 03-05-2002, 11:31 PM
I am debating the same thing. I want to go to 16" with 285/75/16 but I think the truck is geared to high already with the 265/70/17's on it right now and I have the 5.4l engine. I hate to spend the money on rim's & tire's to have the truck really dog out on me. I think you will notice a difference , the question is how much ?

The other thing about the Procomp size of 33/12.50/17 is that if you have a tire go bad & need one in a hurry your out of luck for a matching one or matching size,since they are not ready available & only by mail order.

I have BFG's All terrain KO's on my truck in the stock size of 265/70/17 & the look real nice with the squared off shoulder look to them . If you decide to stay with stock size & go with the BFG's let me know & I'll tell you where to find a good place.

See ya around Waukesha,I'm just north of you in Sussex area.
Mike

Old 03-06-2002, 01:34 AM
`Thanks for the info. I think I might not get the 33's. Maybe later down the road if it gets a lift and gears.
Mike, would you happen to have a pic of your truck with the BFG's?
Thanks again guys, Eric

Old 03-09-2002, 01:42 PM
FFEric224,
No, I'm sorry I don't have any pic's of my truck with the BFG's on it. I also heard that BFG is coming out with an 285/70/17 in an all-terrain this year ,they already have it out in a mud terrain though . I'm sure it will cost $$$ though .

Old 03-09-2002, 04:22 PM
Cool

hey guys I put the 285/70/17 bfg mud ta km on my truck with the 4.6 and 3.55 gears they spec out as 33" tall and 11 1/2" wide I havent noticed much diferance in performance I think the gas milage droped a bit but i'm not to woried about it it shure gives the truck a sweet look the stock tiers make them look real whimpy the muds make it look like a real truck

Quick Reply: I need your opinions