Tire performance help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2002, 04:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire performance help needed.

I have 265/75/16s. On the sidewall of the tire is the following: Comanche Radial H/T, Traction A, Temp. B, Tread Wear 500, M+S, 35 max. psi. These tires are on my 99' F-150 XLT, supercab, flareside pick-up with a 4.6L, auto trans, with 3.55 gear ratio rearend.

These tires were brand new (had the little rubber "hairs" still on tread) when I purchased the used vehicle several months ago.
I do not know what the stock size should be since the door jamb sticker is missing from my truck. But, my fathers new 99' XLT, singlecab longbed came with 235/70/16s and a co-workers 99' XLT, supercab, styleside bed came from dealer brand new with 245/70/16's.

Problem: Truck "wonders" way too much, has far too much body roll and in a cross-wind on the straight aways, it almost feels like I am getting two flats on the opposite side that the wind is blowing from (i.e. wind hits the passenger side and the driver side wheels feel like they are going flat and visa-versa). I need my truck to handle like a sportscar, with more sensitive steering, not understeering, feel connected to the road, not float like a boat. I know it will be a rougher ride, but I need better handling not a comfortable ride (yeah I'm sick).

I have ordered front and rear Hellwig sport tract anti-swaybar kits. I know that will help. When I decide if I am going to lower it or not (don't want to but will to improve street driving) , I can decide on shocks and aftermarket wheels, like some 18's with a wider tires?

But, what can I do to these tires now? The sidewall is huge, so I must be getting too much "side flexing" while I drive down the road? Would I put the max. 35 psi to make the tire harder and less mushy? Or are these types of tires a lost cause? Should I trade them off for some used tires of a certain size for better handling and steering? They fill up the fender well much better than the 235 or 245 but I need more performance out of suspension and steering. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by iron horse; 03-05-2002 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-05-2002, 07:57 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile

Yes, those tires are taller then stock. Probably close to 32" tall. I'm a little surprised at the max psi being only 35. They sound like they are just "P" (passenger) rated. Is the exact tire size listed as "P265/75/16"? Or does it say "Standard Load" someplace on the tire? If it does, then it's just a "tall" car tire.

LT type of tires are for "Light Trucks" and start out with a Load Range "C" rating. The max pressure for these are 50 psi (cold). They have more sidewall and tread "plys" that make them a stiffer tire. Your "P" rated tires are designed to give a "cusshy" ride and not much consideration for sidwall flex. You'd need to get LT rated tires to get the stiffer sidewalls.

It sounds like you want a truck with sports car handling. Well, the best you're going to get is a compromise between the two. Basically, it's always going to weigh as much as a truck, so not much you can do about that. You can get some lower profile tires and that should really help. Especially with the rest of the suspension mods you have in mind.

If bucks are limited and you just want a fast solution now, you can just pump them up the the max cold pressure of 35 psi. Depends on what the pressure is at now. If it's only 30 psi, you'll notice a difference, if it's already at 35, you're SOL.

Or just try to find some 60 series tires. These will be shorter and will make the wheel wells look huge, but it'll handle better. At that point you can only lower it make it look better, plus that'll help the handling too.

With the shorter tires, it'll help your off the line starts too. I've followed your posts on wanting more power for your 4.6. This would solve some of your problems without having to swap gears.

Old 03-05-2002, 10:15 PM
MichF150,

Da** you were right on target! After reading your post this evening I went out to the garage to check my tires like you said. My truck had been setting for about two hours. I checked the psi., I have 30 psi in them right now.

Then I check all the wording on the tires. It specificaly states, "P265/75 R16 1145 Radial Tubless" on anther section it states, "Max. load 260 lbs. (35 psi)" and on another section it states, "Standard Load" ........ What the ****! I have tall skinny car tires on my heavy supercab!!!!! No wonder I am floating like a boat on the higway and I feel like I am driving on the lake.

Now I know I hate auto dealerships for life. I bought my used truck from a major Ford Dealership in Oklahoma City. I thought they provided such great serivice by changing all the fluids and putting new tires on it before I drove it off the lot.

Instead of swaybars as priority, I should have asked someone like you about my tires. Then I could have went out and spent $300 bucks on some TRUCK tires instead of swaybars!

Okay, okay, I am calm. I need your expertise just a little more.
I know of a shop that sells used tires and rims. They sell tires with 50% to 90% and new take-offs. All their tires come with warranties and you can get four truck tires for 100 to 200 bucks.

I think the cheapest way for me to go, is to find some tires that will fit my 16 rims? If I go that route, what do you think would be the best size for street performance ?_____/_____/16?

If I somehow can make a deal for rims and tires what size should I get for street performance, if I keep stock height?_____/_____/______?

If sometime in the furture I am going to do a 2/3 or 2/4 lowering kit, what size rim and tire is the best for street performance?_____/_____/_____?

Thanks a whole lot.

Old 03-06-2002, 01:28 AM
All your answers!

Ok my friend, sounds like you've been ripped by the good old oval. Anyway, your options, all Michelins i'd reccomend but you can look around also...
If you stick with the 16" rims, go with the Toyota Land Cruiser tires. It's a P275/70/HR16. Three things... Being Wider and slightly lower will give you better performance in itself. Second, going with a name brand, ESp. Michelin, will give you much better performance. Third, Being and H rated tire, it has a stronger sidewall, helping with performance as well. This tire is used factory on the land cruiser Michelin LTX M/s, so you know it can take the weight. However, if you're goin to be haulin a load, then go LT rated
You can stick with the same size of course, and again the LTX M/s is my choice, I have them on my truck. Handle excellenty, great traction, but of course, the sway is there. However, upgrading your bars will help. A friend once said to me that I "drive my truck like a compact", I took it as a compliment... Anyway, LT rated, nice strong tire
If you keep stock height and get the bills for 18"S go 285/60/HR18 Michelin Pilot LTX. Search around, nothing but happy people with this tire. If you lower it an inch or so, go 285/55/VR18, same tire.

Well let us know what you decide

Old 03-06-2002, 10:21 AM
Bjays Red 150,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide that very valuable and critical info.

I am going to look for the tires you recommended. But, I think, I need the strongest sidewall I can find used? I guess that means I need the LT and not the H ? Or is there such a thing as too stiff of a sidewall, therefore that is why you went with the H? I do not mind if it is a rougher ride so long as I get the most control over my steering. The only thing I will haul is my harley (850 lbs.), when it breaks down, which is a given. ha! Or supplies for some "This Old House" type project. However, it is mainly a daily driver to work.

ALso , the used tire place I was talking about has the majority of their tires with "P" at the begining of the specs. I do not want any tire with the specs. begining with "P", do I? The specs. on the side of the tire should start with "H" or "LT"?
Again, thanks a whole lot.

Old 03-06-2002, 01:50 PM
Bummer on the tire deal from the dealer. Since Ford basically specs "P" rated tires for these rigs, they didn't "technically" rip you off. Just put on what is spec'd by Ford. P rated tires are cheaper in $$ too.

My door jamb sticker spec's say P255/70/16!! Then you are "supposed" to put 29 psi front and 32 psi rear................ Talk about a "musshy" ride!!

When I bought my truck used (off a Chrysler lot), it had punny P235/70/16's on it! Man it looked funny, but it was a great truck other then that. I told the sales guy I really like the truck, but it's gonna need new tires. They were shot with 61,000 miles on them, plus I said it just looks "funny".

After the usual run around, he finally offered me the truck for a couple hundred lower AND I could go to Les Schwab Tires and use their dealer discount to buy whatever size tires I wanted. I was satisfied with that. I actually did get the P255/70/16's, but after about a week or so, just didn't like them and went back and was able to trade them in for the LT265/75/16's. Cost me a bit more, but I learned from that mistake.

Anyway, to help you with what to do now......... You're not gonna find a low profile "performance" tire that is also LT rated. At least not that I've ever seen. If you don't mind a stiffer ride, try to find some LT rated tires that are Load Range "D" or even "E". Those will be plenty stiff. Those are basically for 3/4 ton and above trucks, but come in sizes as small as 245/75/16. The other route is to go lower profile. Like a 60 or even 50 series. These will be "P" rated, but you won't have as much sidewall to deal with. The catch here is that you only have a 7" wide wheel, so width will be a factor as well. Probably don't want to go over a 275/60/16 (if they even make one that size).

This is what I would do. (remember this is JMO!) Find an LT rated Load Range "D" tire with the size of 245/75/16. This will give you a stiff sidewall, basically fill the wheel wells without lowering and keep your overall tire height at a level where your 3.55 gears and 4.6 L motor will run pretty decent. Then save for a lowering kit, put that on. Save for new wheels and tires. Get some 17 or 18" x 9" wide and get some of the performance tires mentioned in the other posts. Add the sway bars at any time during this. Couldn't hurt!

You should still be ok for what you say you would ever haul in the truck. Even P rated tires are ok for that load range.

Good luck.

Old 03-06-2002, 03:10 PM
MitchF150,

Thanks again for your time and effort. I think I am going to look for some used "LT" 245-255/75-65/16s "D" or "E" rated. If the "E" rating has a stiffer sidewall than a "D", I think I will try for that. I think just by going from a 265 to a 245 or 255, I can lower the truck by about an inch?

With the stiffer sidewall, bigger swaybars with polyurethane bushing as well as eventually getting some rancho RS 9000 (setting no. 5) or bilstien shocks, I think I can keep my stock height yet get less bodyroll and better steering without lowering it...I think.

Old 03-06-2002, 04:07 PM
My Supercab came with 255/70/16s. I've had it about 9 months, and now I really want some 265/75/16s. I have a friend who put those on his truck (but his is a 4x4). They look great. From what I've read from you guys, I guess I'd better make sure I get "LT" tires to prevent that "mushy" ride.

Old 03-06-2002, 05:02 PM
Thumbs up

Not a problem. Hope this all works for you. I just know that with my rig, even with the LT265, "C" rated tires and 4x4 I don't have that much roll at all. I can't take corners like I could in my 5.0 GT, but it's better then it was with the shorter "P" rated tires!

It also handles pretty darn good for a 4x4 IMO. I keep the pressure at 44psi front and 40 psi rear for everyday driving. When I haul or tow, I'll pump the rears up to 50 psi so it'll handle the extra load as the tires were designed.

Quick Reply: Tire performance help needed.