any opinions on Pirelli Scorpion AT's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2002, 05:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any opinions on Pirelli Scorpion AT's?

going to replace the Duelers soon and have noticed a few trucks with Scorpion AT's.

Not really interested in BFG's or Goodyears, so I really want to hear about the Pirellis.

Thanks

Old 02-26-2002, 11:48 PM
I would stick with the Duelers!

I had those on my old truck and I loved them. I hate the Goodyears on my truck now and will replace them when the income tax check comes back.

A good friend of mine had the Scorpions on his Explorer and loved them. He did little or none highway travel and used it for camp a lot. Another friend of mine told me to stay away from them if I was going to be on highways and main roads more that off road.

He said the treads wear a lot more because they are more plyable and have a bigger, more aggressive tread pattern.

It's a crap shoot. Stick with the Bridgestones!!

Old 02-28-2002, 01:30 PM
I really like the Yokahama Geolanders....wear well and great traction but hum a little....

I used to sell tires at Sears, and the vast majority of our returns (due to failure) were Goodyears.....I would not own a set for free...

Lots of people really like the Bridgestone....sold many sets and few complaints....they would be my second choice...

Old 02-28-2002, 06:25 PM
friend of mine has them on his 94... doesn't like them. Not real great on the road and he doesn't offroad too much. Got them when he bought the truck they were on it.

Old 03-01-2002, 03:04 PM
Go to www.tirerack.com and read consumer reviews on these and other tires.

Old 03-09-2002, 06:50 AM
I've had the S/T Pirelli on my truck the last 35k and although I really liked the looks and traction, the mileage was terrible. Yes, I had alignment, balance etc checked everytime I rotated every 5000 miles. I just put some TOYO A/T on my truck and couldn't believe how much better they made the truck handle.... quicker steering response......
Both the above tires had much better traction that the original Goodyear AP.

Old 03-09-2002, 06:05 PM
Wink Pirelly Scorpion A/T's

Well, I *literally* just drove home from the tire store with a set of Scorpion A/T's to replace the sorry Wrangler AP's that came on the truck. These probably wouldn't have been my first choice (the tread design is really aggressive, and I don't take the truck offroad much at all), but they were a take-off that another customer bought and didn't like, so I got a really good deal on them.

First impressions: VERY sticky (it's rainy today, and no matter how I tried I couldn't get them to break loose...the old AP's broke loose if I even thought about pressing the accelerator), and a bit more noise than the APs, but not at all unbearable.

I did some research online, and found many positive comments about these tires, and few negatives (one guy from Buffalo said they weren't very good in slush and ice).

Old 03-10-2002, 06:42 PM
I love the current Bridgestones, but seeing a lot of Pirellis lately, I was wondering if they knew something I didn't.

Current tires are 265/70/16 Dueler AT on a 2wd reg cab short box. Love 'em. Great in the snow, rain and more quiet than the HT Wilderness they replaced. Also happy with the tread wear (going on 90,000 km or 55,000 miles) for an aggressive tread, but they are getting lean...

Old 04-06-2002, 04:17 PM
Be Careful with A/T's

I have 15k miles on my Pirelli Scorpion A/T's, and have been suffering with one of the tires being out of round. As I was told, the tires have 10/32 tread life new. As of now, I have 7/32 of life left on them. I can't say if that's fast or slow deterioration rate, but I do drive primarily on the interstate.

As I've found out, the warrenty for the pirelli's runs out after one year or 2/32 of tread wear (whichever comes first). After 2/32, replacements are adjusted to treadwear (not milage). So if you get these, keep an eye on them up to about 8-10k miles. That's how long it took me to wear 2/32.

Aside from that, the looks are nice and it sticks very well to the road. It's a tough trade-off: looks versus longetivity.

Good luck with your purchase.

Quick Reply: any opinions on Pirelli Scorpion AT's?