2001 4x4. Need to replace stock. HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 03:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2001 4x4. Need to replace stock. HELP!!!

Well, I have the 17" Goodyear AT/S or RT/s (forgot which) with 20,000 mi., and it looks like I'll already need to replace them this summer. Is this normal? What should I look into getting at a reasonable price that will wear like tires should?

Also, I want taller and fatter, but not so I don't feel safe on the highway anymore like in my 4x4 Ranger after upgrading it to 31" 1050's on stock 15" rims. I think those Coni-Traks only had 2 ply sidewalls. I have 3:55 gears, with a 5 speed, and 1 st. gear is so "low" I know I can afford to lose some of that to larger tires, but what is safe? Looks like my choices are 295, 31", and 33". I think I'm leaning torward 31", but is their any benefit either cost wise or other to running 295's? What is the widest of these two I should run? (i.e. 31/12.50R17)

BTW, I don't necessarily have to have "mud" over "overall" tires or vise-versa, and it doesn't matter if they are loud as hell on the highway or etc. I just want a good tire that will last. I rotate about every 6,000 mi., and try not to burn out much, and all my driving is on-road, unless winter time, when I like to try to get stuck in ditches.

FYI, I run my stock tires at 30 psi. ft., and 26 psi. rear. That is where they both contact the street about 98%- 100% all the way across. (Will this change with new tires?)

-AR

Last edited by Jackal; 02-20-2002 at 04:09 AM.
Old 02-20-2002, 01:14 PM
Tires...

Ah, time for new tires huh? Well let me start off by saying that the best thing that happened to me in the tire department was when I got rid of the stock Goodyear Wrangler AT/S. They were horrible, and I will never have them on another truck or any vehicle that I own.
I feel that I up graded when I went with the Bridgestone Dueler A/Ts, they are a really good tire, and have a lot of good things about them. First off, they have a 50,000 mile treadlife warranty on them. They stick to the stock tire size, (Which is a 32" tire). IMO they have an excellent offroad ability, and are good in the mud as well. They have also been recommended by many members on this site as well, as I know of about 2 dozen trucks running them, and the owners are very happy with the tires. Not to mention the cost of the tires as well. They run about $109 per tire, compared to the $179 for BFG All-terrain....Which that $70 is a lot to pay for a tire that doesn't have any kind of warranty, and that IMHO doesn't do that much better than what the Bridgestone does.
I have am currently running my second set of these, and have been very happy with them. Good traction in what ever I have encountered. Just my two cents about the brand of tires that I really like.
David

Old 02-20-2002, 02:10 PM
MNFORD99,

You mention your on your second set of the Brigestones. How many miles did you get out of the first set? More/Less than the 50K warranty?

Old 02-20-2002, 05:10 PM
Zyg
I feel that I up graded when I went with the Bridgestone Dueler A/Ts, they are a really good tire, and have a lot of good things about them.
I got bridgestones on my 2k ranger and was very happy with them. I also had great luck with bridgstones on an old transam I used to have.

Old 02-20-2002, 07:54 PM
My vote is for GoodYear MT/R. This is without a doubt the best looking, best performing, tire I have owned on any truck. The ride is as good as the stock at/s, but the off road traction is second only to Boggers.
I got 275/70/17 at the local G/Y dealer fot the same price as what the tire rack.com was going to charge (once I included shipping)
I have gotten many good comments on them.

Old 02-20-2002, 10:58 PM
Id go for the Bridgestones!!! Love mine!
JJ

Old 02-21-2002, 09:42 AM
SDScrew -

I got roughly 35,000 out of the first set.....Only because I was so busy I didn't have time to rotate the tires, or have an alignment done. I stupid about it, doing the occassional burnout as well, just to show off......This set will last the 50,000 miles. An uncle of mine had a set on a Dodge pickup, and they lasted 65,000 miles on his truck.

Old 02-21-2002, 10:42 AM
I put on a set of the Dueler AT's about 25,000 miles ago. The tires are wearing normally and have a ton of tread left. They should easily hit the 50,000 mile mark. I rotate them at every third oil change - every 9,000 miles. I'm happy with the tires to date.

Old 02-22-2002, 09:32 PM
another vote for bridgestone dueler ATs. reasonably priced and they do EVERYTHING well. ice, snow, mud, wet . . and wear well. i do wonder about your driving style though. my new truck came with RT/S (unfortunately). poor ice and snow traction but after 13,000 miles they show virtually no wear (unfortunately). i'd like to get rid of them.

Quick Reply: 2001 4x4. Need to replace stock. HELP!!!