Severe weather rating?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2002, 10:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Severe weather rating?

I just read that ProComp has this for its A/T tires. What does this mean exactly? Is it the best for snow? I'm trying to decide between these and Bridgestone Dueller A/T. BFG is no longer in the running because of their price increases. . Do both Pro Comp and Bridgestone have the same 50000mi warranty? Do either tire really get that far? This is really important as I want to buy a small trailer and snow mobile for, hopefully, next year. And I never want to get stuck again, even if it is in 4ft of wet snow. FYI, had a set of Toyo on my "95 F150 4x4. The worst tires I had. Slipped in the rain and got me horribly stuck in the snow once, even with Limited slip.
Thank you for your time.

Old 02-14-2002, 10:59 PM
thewhiteford,

The Severe Weather Rating means that the DOT has approved this tire for travel on roads that are closed due to heavy snow, where only vehicles with chains are allowed through. Except you don't need chains.

Old 02-14-2002, 11:53 PM
I've run the Dueler AT for about 25,000 miles or so now. They do come with a 50,000 mile tread warranty. Wear has been minimal to this point. They should easily get to 50+. I tend to expect and demand at least 60,000 miles out of my tires, since I drive about 25,000 miles a year. Dry street traction is great, as is wet traction. I've had them off road in sandy and muddy conditions, and they have done well (recognizing the tradeoffs inherent in the AT design). Snow traction has been respectable, which is important to me driving a 2wd truck in Minnesota (not that we've seen winter this year). They also come with a decent price, unlike the BFG's. They aren't the most agressive looking tire, but they are a great buy for the price.

Old 02-20-2002, 07:45 AM
mjs
Whiteford,

I have a set of Procomp ATs with the severe weather rating. In my opinion, the rating is a joke. Definately does not take the place of tire chains, in fact they really do not work better than any other AT tire I have owned (BFG, Goodyear, etc.)
Don't get me wrong, they are priced real affordably, look decent, and are wearing very well. I would buy them again in a heartbeat.

MJS

Old 02-21-2002, 12:38 AM
Once more, the Michelin LTX M/S likely stands on top

Old 02-21-2002, 08:55 AM
Aren't most Mud & Snow and All-Terrain tires rated for Severe Weather?

Quick Reply: Severe weather rating?