what tires do you guys rcommend for the lightning rims?? can i use "car tires"

Old 02-14-2002, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what tires do you guys rcommend for the lightning rims?? can i use "car tires"

i am lookibng at some lightning rims, what tires are good. i saw some on tirerack for light duty trucks or something??? cant i just buy car tires..............what size as well

thanks
ben

Old 02-24-2002, 02:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Several Choices ....

Go to www.tirerack.com and plug in the Lighning as your vehicle. It will come up with 295/45 ZR18 Eagle 1 Goodyears as the original tire. But if you check out the "optional" sport truck tires you will find that Pirelli, Toyo, Dunlop and Bridgestone also make tires that will fit that rim. My choice is the Bridgestone 285/50 HR18. Why? Five reasons: It's quieter than the Goodyear. It's a little less expensive. It has a harder rubber compound and will provide 40,000 miles of wear instead of 19,000. It looks just as nice. And, it is 29.4 inches tall (the Goodyear is only 28.6) which is almost exactly the height of original 235/70 HR16 tires. So, there won't be any changes on my speedo or odometer.

BTW, a final consideration is your spare. If you keep your OEM spare for that unexpected flat, you won't have one high or low
corner with a wierd size tire if you stay at the size of your spare.

The Bridgestone is about $178.

BillVoyles
RedLowRyder

Last edited by Bill Voyles; 02-24-2002 at 02:31 AM.
Old 02-24-2002, 12:02 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

Remember to consider the load rating. If you don't haul or tow, then you'll be ok. Since you are considering that tire size anyway, I don't expect that you'll be putting a yard of bark mulch in the bed..

Happy Trucking!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what tires do you guys rcommend for the lightning rims?? can i use "car tires"