Brake question

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2002, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake question

My dealer said i have 3mm remaining on my front brake pads. He said i should repalce the pads and the rotors (about $200.00). I mentioned the brakes didn't grab or pull when i applied the brakes. His answer was since the lining is almost gone, the rotors could get hot and warp. I wanted to check in here before i made a decision to replace the rotors,. The dealer has always been forthright, but $200.00 is alot of money to spend, especially if it's not necessary. Oh, i forgot to mention. I have a 99 F-150 4.2 5 speed with 27,000 miles.

Old 02-12-2002, 05:36 PM
If the pads are actually worn as much as the dealer states, I can see changing the pads out, but the rotors change puzzles me. I was able to get about 50.000 miles on my front pads, but that is mostly interstate driving. I eventually needed to have the rotors turned/trued, but that was only to stop the pulsating or uneven braking when I applied the brakes. I have over 100,000 on my '94 with the original rotors. Maybe another opinion would be helpful.

Old 02-12-2002, 07:08 PM
The rotors also get glazed through use so it is always a good idea to at least have them turned. Since the labor to turn the rotors is almost as expensive as brand new ones they will try to get you to replace them. Can you get away without it? Yes, but it is a good idea to replace or turn them.

-Jon

Old 02-13-2002, 02:24 AM
The local Lordco Autoparts store (like Autozone) in these parts has a brake rotor/drum lathe in the back of the shop and although I haven't had it done for a few years it was something like $20 bucks a rotor to have them turned (removes some material and gets rid of glazed spots, grooves in the surface).

I would always have the rotors turned when putting new pads on otherwise they don't seat properly.

Turning a rotor should be WAY cheaper than buying a new one, unless of course you're paying dealer mechanic wages $100/hr.

I banged mine up (98' 4x4) getting the originals off so I bought new rotors for $90cdn each and Titanium pads from JCWhitney mail-order for $32us. (no brake dust so far - work great)

Quick Reply: Brake question