What to do on my '02 SCrew FX4

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do on my '02 SCrew FX4

Okay guys I got my 2002 SCrew FX4 two weeks ago now and I cant stop thinking about wheels & tires & lifts.

so I have a couple questions and I wanna hear your opinions on this stuff. Im trying to figure out what I wanna do to my truck. I dont really wanna leave it the way it sits now. I've considered a couple options... here they are:

1 - wider tires on the stock 17" rims. Whats the biggest tire I can put on those things?

2 - get the biggest wheels & tires I can fit in at stock height. Anyone know what that would be? I've heard you can get 315's in there without a lift.

3 - go all out and get wheels tires and lift. I'm kinda shying away from this one because of the expense. If I do go this route, I dont think I would do more than a 4" or 6" lift and maybe 35"x12.5" tires.

So what do you guys think. It seems like most of you are big lift fans. I think they look great too but I dont wanna spend $4000 or more in one shot. But on the other hand I dont wanna get new wheels and tires now and then down the road decide I want a lift too and get new ones again. I'd really like to hear from you guys that havent done a lift but just installed larger wheels and/or tires.

Old 02-08-2002, 03:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Personally, I would buy some 16x10 inch rims and either 285/75 or 305/70-16 tires and install them first. This is as large as you can go with a stock 4x4. That way you can wait on the lift. Later you can install a 3 inch body lift or 4 inch suspension lift and the truck will look even better. Then, if you want to go to a larger tire, like a 315/75-16, you will have enough lift. At this point, if you decide to go to 315s, you can save up your money for the tires and the lower gears that you will need to turn them. By the way, the only reason I suggested 16s is because there is a better selection of rims and tires in that size at this time. This is the approach I am taking. I put 285/75 BFGs on my stock 16 inch rims when I bought my truck. Then I bought some 16x10 inch rims when I found a deal on some Eagle 589. Now I am thinking about a 3 inch body lift.

Old 02-10-2002, 09:50 PM
Somejerk.
If you decide on new wheel and are interested in selling the FX-4 Rims, I would be interested in buying them.
Gino

Old 02-10-2002, 10:45 PM
I dont know for sure when I'll be ready to upgrade, but when I do, I'll definatly let you guys here know that the Rims are availale

Old 02-11-2002, 07:15 PM
a local i see.

i dropped from the 17 to 16" wheel and got 285/75. looks good. i strongly recomend going to 16" wheels though. i studied the numbers for a long time so i know what i'm talking about. you will have much more of a selection of tires, you will have an aftermarket look, and the tires are cheaper, significantly. plus, i sold the takeoffs for a $290 profit on ebay. and just like wandell said, i have already bought a 3" body lift, but haven't installed it. i'm not sure if i will now, or wait till i can get some 315/75. i got my wheels and tires from discount tire co. for $1092 out the door, minus the 290 from my takeoffs, left me paying $802. well worth it.

Quick Reply: What to do on my '02 SCrew FX4