tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2002, 08:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question tire pressure

the side of the tire said I can inflate to a max of 50 psi. Should I inflate the tires to 50 psi to improve gas mileage. I bought the trucked and the previous owner put largers tires on.

it is 1997 f150.

Thanks

Old 02-07-2002, 08:15 PM
that is the max pressure if you do that you will wear out the center of the tire cause it will swell it up i would say around 33 to 35psi should be good

Old 02-07-2002, 08:33 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

This is just what I do. It sounds like you have a Load Range "C" tire there. So do I. I like the fronts inflated to 44 and the rears at 40 when empty and for everyday driving.

When I haul / tow, I'll bump the rears up to 50 and leave the fronts at 44.

I've just found this to be an overall compromise in pressures. I tried 'em lower, but it just felt to "mussy" on the handling. When they are pumped up to max, it's too "stiff" (when empty).

Again, just what I do. I've got almost 20k on this set of tires, and they still look like new. (rotate every 6k miles).

Old 02-07-2002, 10:10 PM
careful you dont overinflate them. i had my last set of tires overinflated and they would wear off in the middle of the tire more than on the outside. if you do inflate them more, keep an eye on how they wear down.

Old 02-07-2002, 11:41 PM
Ultimately, you need to play around with the pressure to find your day-to day needs. If it's just day to day driving, start the tires at about 45psi (cold) and keep a pressure gauge with you. Not the lousy pep-boys 50c one, something halfway decent cause you're going to want accuracy. Each day, after you've taken a reasonable drive, take a look at your tires, with gauge in hand. Take a look at your contact patch on the top of the tire. It helps to drive through some dirt to see this easially, not mud but just very light dirt, dust. If your tires have too much air for your specific weight, then the tire will only be touching the ground with the middle 90% of the tire. Drop it down (depending on how **** you are) 1-2psi. Now, this'll be your hot temp so it'll be a little different. For best results, do all this as you're getting back into the vechicle and heading home, this'll give you cold PSI. Repeat this daily until the "dirt" just starts to touch the outer edge of the tire. This setting will give you ideal wear on the tires, as the whole tire is sharing the weight evenly, or it's distributed as much as possible.
If you really want better mileage, add another 5lbs. You'd be surprised as to how much a difference it can make in your contact patch.
Anyway, this is what I did. You can see my truck below but I run 33 for the front and 30 for the rear. Technically, I had it at 28-29 for the rear but it meant I couldn't put anything in it (including other people) without it sagging.
Ok, for most people this whole process is a lettle overkill, but it works. Have fun playin around!

Old 02-08-2002, 02:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question

Isn't "overinflating" when you go over the MAX COLD pressure rating for the tire?

By staying under the MAX, I would have thought that's within spec. I'd think you'd have more problems by going too low.

I've always run my passenger car tires at the MAX COLD pressure. Usually, 32-35. Never any problems with uneven wear. I know, they're not the same as LT rated tires, but just an example......

My LT tires have a slight "crown" on top. Even at 30 psi. Was really "bulged" on the ground at that psi. Way too low of pressue in my opinion. Would have generated more heat and that will cause more damage then just having the center wear a tad bit faster......

I've done what BJays Red 150 has suggested, just with water on the tires and dry pavement. The fronts have a full patch (@ 44 psi) and the rears still don't quite make as full a patch as the fronts, but it's totally empty too. (@ 40 psi). Not enough for me to worry because I rotate them often.

Anyway, not saying anybody's right or wrong here. This is just what I have done to establish MY comfort zone with MY tire pressures.

Happy Trucking!

Last edited by MitchF150; 02-08-2002 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-09-2002, 01:57 AM
And bottom line, that's what it all comes down to, what an individual is comfortable with. After all, they are our trucks!

Quick Reply: tire pressure