Leaks in Polished Aluminum Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2002, 02:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Leaks in Polished Aluminum Wheels

Anyone besides me having trouble with the polished 16" alum wheels on a '00 ?

1) I ordered the truck with the cast ones; and got the polished. Oh, well, plenty else wrong too, and I liked thepolished wheels ok, too, so I kept them...

2) One tire kept loosing pressure slowly (10 psi / wk). As the front end was poorly aligned also, off to a trusted tire store for alignment and trie fix. After the pro alignment the truck handled great, btw. Tire still leaked though, and the tire folks had replaced a leaky stem core thinking that was all....

3) At rotation time, they tried again to fix the leak. This time, on dismounting the tire, they discovered that the polished wheels are a Franken-weld job. Ford takes the polished face and (crudely) welds it to a non-polished body. Two hunks o'weld were standing the tire off the bead and causing the leak. Weld job looked like it was done by monkeys...angry, inept monkeys...

4) Dealer makes good on warrentee, but new whell coming in has a major hunk missing where the weld was not complete (355 degrees of the circle welded - missing about 5 degrees). So I reject this one, much to the dismay of the dealer, and that's where we are - interviewing wheels to get good ones....

So, if you've a leaker, suspect the weld. Dumb place for a weld as it is the sealing surface. Poor workmanship as well...makes me take bumps a bit more gently also.....

Quick Reply: Leaks in Polished Aluminum Wheels