Aftermarket parking brake shoes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2002, 09:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Aftermarket parking brake shoes?

The search function is disabled, and I searched the first 5 pages of thread titles with no luck, so I'll just ask: Has anyone found a non-oem (i.e. less expensive) source for the rear shoes that are the parking brakes for a 4 wheel disc setup?

Just to clarify, it is a '97 4x4 with 4 wheel disc brakes, the rear assembly being the 'top hat' rotor that has the mini-drum and shoe set-up for the parking brake.

Thanks for helping the cheap bastard that I am.

Catmandu

Old 01-28-2002, 09:01 PM
If anyone carries them Napa would. Why do you need new ones? You actually wore out the shoes in 5 years?

-Jon

Old 01-28-2002, 09:20 PM
No luck with NAPA, and in fact got a couple 'OEM only' replies from a couple of suppliers, just thought the internet mafia might have found some sneaky "a 1972 datsun 240z left shoe works" solution.

Why, yes I do attempt power slides just like in the movies, so they wore out quick!!!

Actually, when I was rebuilding the rear diff, the shoes kind of fell in two, delaminated or whatever the term might be. We tried some hi-temp epoxy and a few counter-sunk rivets, but after a month, I got some strange sounds starting to surface when I came to a stop yesterday, so this weekend when I put it on the rack I am expecting to find them in pieces.

Now that I think more about the "wore them out???" part, might have to hit the junkyard first . . . .

Old 01-28-2002, 10:09 PM
it was not until 99 that the rear disc came in the F150s.

Did you swap axles or what?

But try searching for a 99 to present truck. You are not going to find any place that has them. They are impossible to find on the explorers still. So pay the $100 at Ford.

Old 01-28-2002, 10:37 PM
No axle swap, stock for the 250LD (now 7700) package in '97, although I got the truck used.

Figured I might have to go the pricey Ford route, but want to search the junkyard for the parts to put a keypad in this truck anyway, may as well look for some shoes while I'm at it.

You seem wise in the ways of the Fords, Matt: what junk vehicles do I need to look at for these shoes?

Otherwise, I'll get the internet discount OEM Ford parts from Ohio.

Last edited by catmandu1999; 01-28-2002 at 10:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket parking brake shoes?