What type of pads?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What type of pads?

i have a 2001 supercrew 5.4 v8, 4x4. i do a lot of hunting and that means i'm off road most of the time. i have 32,000 miles on my truck would like to upgrade the worn pads, front and back. would like any info on just the pads. lookin for the best of the best, if you know what i mean. thanks!

Old 01-25-2002, 12:04 PM
ABout the best deal out there is the Autozone Performance Friction metalic pads. They are like $50 for the front but come with a lifetime warranty against everything and wear! Yeah, wear them out and take them in for a new set at no charge.

They helped CJs truck stop a lot better.

Old 01-25-2002, 12:16 PM
thanks matt.

Old 01-25-2002, 01:11 PM
I have..

I have put Raybestos pads on my truck, and they make a world of difference. I do my fair share of hunting as well, and that just like you means driving offroad. You can't find anything different up here as far as pads go. They also have a wear life of 50,000 miles........Just another option for you to look at.
David

Old 01-25-2002, 01:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Matt90GT
ABout the best deal out there is the Autozone Performance Friction metalic pads. They are like $50 for the front but come with a lifetime warranty against everything and wear! Yeah, wear them out and take them in for a new set at no charge.

They helped CJs truck stop a lot better.
I have the Performance Friction Metallic Pads from Autozone that come with the lifetime warranty. To be honest I think the original pads that came on the truck were better. I occasionally get a very light squealing noise when breaking that I never noticed with stock pads, and I probably don't have 5 or 6 thousand miles on them. I have a 98 with the rear drums, but I got 65,000 miles out of my front set. I'd be more than happy to get 65,000 miles again. I also haven't noticed the new pads improving brakeing at all. I've heard good things about the cross-drilled rotors from JC Whitney and others though as far as improving breaking distances.

Old 01-25-2002, 11:53 PM
I went to Auto Zone with the intent to purchase the Performance Friction Metallic pads only to have the parts guy tell me that he wouldn't recommend them because they cause premature rotor wear? Anyway, I bought the cheaper pads (also warranted for life) and they have performed great so far. The OEM pads lasted 70,000 miles. I would be pleasantly surprised if these replacements last that long.

Old 01-29-2002, 12:10 AM
Thumbs up JCWhitney Titanium

Eduk8er got me onto the Titanium pads from JCWhitney. Bought them online for less than $35 bucks.

Just got them on today so no real feedback yet. They stop real nice though.

Eduk8er did say they were dustless and he had them on for 15 or 20k miles already I think. Sounds good to me, and the price is right compared to OE Ford stuff double the price almost and you get nice black brake dust rims with OE.

The titanium pads also come with anti-squeal shims that stick onto the backside of the pad.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: What type of pads?