What A/T tires really work?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2002, 01:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What A/T tires really work?

I was just doing donuts in the Stop-N-Shop parking lot for about 10 min in 4wd, trying to make the most of our first real snowfall when I realized that my A/T tires weren't so grippy. I have a 2001 F250 4x4 with 265 A/T's, LS 3.73 axles, 5.4 V8 and a manual tranny. The truck's got about 13000 mi on it and yes, I have been rotating the tires every 5000 mi. So what's the scoop. When I get around to buying new tires, I want to make sure I get a tire that can perform well day to day but bite the road when I'm out in the snow and mud, whether it be in the parking lot down the road or on the top of a mountain in Vermont taking my snow mobile for a trip.

The last set of tires that I bought were Toyos for my '95 F150 4x4 that I also bought new, the day after I turned 21( many 80 hr weeks for that ). The stock tires I had on that truck could not be stopped. Amazingly enough, the only situation that halted the '95 was when the snow came up over the hood as I was driving across my parent's front lawn after a blizzard that dropped over 3' of snow. Then I just put her in reverse and backed right out.

I was told the Toyo's were supposed to be great. They sucked. Maybe it was just the limited slip eating up the tread, but for tires with a 65000mi warranty on them, they didn't come close. Not to mention that they slipped in most every weather condition. Also got me stuck in almost 4' of wet snow in VT and had to get my friend, of whom I had pulled out twice, to pull me out by dropping his clutch and bending the bumper.

So, obviously, i don't want to make the same mistake again. I was thinking about BFG A/T's and keeping the same size tire. If there is anyone with experience in this matter, please "steer" me in the right direction. I greatly appreciate any input. Thank you.

P.S. Sorry about the long post. I get a little carried away trying to explain things to the fullest

Old 01-20-2002, 02:17 AM
T/A Tires

thewhiteford-
If I were you, I would go with the BFGoodrich A/T's. I have had them on two of my vehicles and am about to put them on my
F-150. I have had great experiences with them and all my freinds would also recommend them. They handle great in snow, mud, and other terrain. The tread wear is hardly noticable. I had BFG's on a Bronco and when I sold it they were almost new (1and1/2 years later, unlike the stock tires on my F-150, 6 months and I had racing slicks. BFG's also make any truck look awsome. The only downfall is they are alittle pricey. Good luck, P.S., Sorry for the long reply.

Old 01-20-2002, 10:15 AM
Another vote for BFG all terrain TA/KO's . I've run them on every truck I've had since 1985. That's the first mod I do is take the factory ***** Goodyear's tire's off & put on BFG's . Usually with in the first day or two.

You could also go up in size . They have alot of 16" selection.

Are you pretty happy with the V8 in your f-250. My freind has one & it seem's to go pretty well for a big truck. He has 3.73 gear's,but I see you can opt for the 4.10 if ordering one.

Old 01-20-2002, 04:15 PM
tehwhiteford,

I agree with fordabbits. The BFG AT/KO's are great tires and I have them on my 97 F-150 4x4 which is for sale. BUT, I bought a 2002 F-250SD SC 4x4 5.4 Auto, and I put some new wheels and tires on it. I went with the Eagle143's 16"x8" and put 305x70x16 ProComp AT's. Probably second to the BFG's and a hell of alot cheaper. Bought them from http://www.4wheelparts.com when they had "buy 3 get 1 free" deal on ProComps. Ended up getting them for $125 each. Compared to the 295x75x16 BFG's at $198 each.

Here is a pic.

Old 01-21-2002, 01:27 AM
5.4 bliss is my answer for FALLSCREW

Fallscrew,

I am 100% happy with my 5.4 V8. I had thought about the V10 and the diesel. I didn't go with these because I don't tow anything but I carry anywhere from 500 to 1500 lbs on a regular basis. I'm a painting contractor so the power to haul equipment, supplies, and a crew member or two up and down steep inclines, backroads and highways is very important. The 5.4 has not let me down nor do I forsee it ever doing so. With a few mods, I could get @300 hp and, hopefully, increase my mileage. I'm planning on getting a trailer and new snowmobile later this year and I expect my truck will have no problem. I also stuck with the 3.73 gears because of the amount of highway miles I do. The manual tranny is also great. 1st gear is like a granny gear like my old '79's I use to have. It's pretty much the perfect work truck. I custom ordered it from the factory a year ago and was able to get a good trade-in on my '95 f150 4x4. Hope to have pics of it online soon. Thanx for the advice on the A/Ts.

Old 01-21-2002, 07:39 PM
KT
BFG should get you where you want to go and then some!

Old 01-21-2002, 07:58 PM
bridgestone dueler AT . . . . .

Old 01-22-2002, 07:16 AM
My vote also goes for BFG AT. In my past Ranger with 280lbs in the back of the truck in 2wd it would go places a 4wd in the snow wouldn't. I raced 2 Dodges accross a lake in winter and 2 ft + snow, by us. I won, they used the old truck ruts and I cut my own. Was a pretty sight.

But, now with children needed to save a few $. I picked up Yoko Geolander +II and TireRack.com puts them in the top 4. They haven't let me down.

just my 2 cents.

Old 01-22-2002, 03:34 PM
Another vote for Bridgestone Dueler ATs.

Old 01-23-2002, 04:43 PM
Smile

I also have to say the Bridgestone Dueler ATs
are definitely a great tire for the F150!
When I got mine used with 29k on the odo,
it still had the Goodyear Wranger AT-S on it.
They were THE WORST truck tires I have ever
had on a pickup, worse even than the BFG Long
Trail T/As that were shod on my 99 Nissan Frontier.
The Goodyears were just plain scary in the rain,
and even worse in the snow! Since mounting the
Bridgestones, the truck's handling improved
exponentially!!

Definitely consider the Bridgestones!!!

Old 01-23-2002, 06:09 PM
BFG A/T ko !!!! You can't go wrong. Pricey, but worth it. On my second set now. Got 44,000 miles on first set and I drive HARD.
We just had a snow and I pulled a co-worker's 2WD SC up a hill while steering around other stuck vehicles without slipping a tire.

"Matt's black max"---I can tell you a tire even worse than the goodyear AT/S....the RT/S. mine came with RT/s and my brother's truck just like mine had AT/S. No comparison. aT/S are 2 times better than the RT/S....and that ain't sayin' much!

Old 01-24-2002, 03:07 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
thewhiteford,

In all fairness to Goodyear the "ATs" that they put on at the Factory are not true ATs. You cannot go wrong with the BFGs. Their AT is an excellent all around tire. I run their MT just because I don't like being stuck in the mud. If I had the $$ I would run a set second of ATs on the street and save the MTs for Off Road.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 01-24-2002, 05:08 PM
Hey Phildacf150, in Memphis Missouri which is a couple hours north of u, I got some 31-10.50-15 BFG A/T's I havn't found any KOs that's what i wanted but i don't see much difference, but anyway, they were on sale for 75 a piece and i was really delighted. original price was 120 a piece, i almost crapped my pants when i saw the price of these tires. P.S. name of the place is Mayberry Farms..

Old 01-24-2002, 10:27 PM
Just gotta say thanks

I just want to take a moment to say thank you to all the people who have responded. It's great knowing that there's a place where I can get some good, real world, honest opinions. It's also amazing to know there is a tire worse than my factory A/T's! Also, thanks for telling me about those Bridgestone's. I saw them in a Firestone store just yesterday after getting a new radiator put in. But that's another story I'll thread later. So, again thanks for everything and keep on postin'.

Old 01-26-2002, 11:54 AM
dee
Thumbs up

I'am a fan of the bfg a/t's I have had them on two trucks and have put a lot of miles on them and they have held up well! On deeper shlush on the hwy the 33x12.5 can be a little floaty at higher speeds, other than that. They are my first choice.

Quick Reply: What A/T tires really work?