Polished alum. rim's in winter.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2002, 10:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Polished alum. rim's in winter.

Does anyone run their polished alum. rim's in winter ? I live here in the salt belt of Wisconsin & wondering how they would hold up & how tough they are to keep clean ?

I have an extra set of rim's & tire's. Would I be better off switching them every season ?

Old 01-10-2002, 11:02 PM
run the other tires , pollished wheels are a bear to keep lookin good in ideal cond.... if you have other wheels to run use um.

Old 01-16-2002, 12:10 AM
To be honest I had the factory polished rims on my 99 and ran them 2 winters and did'nt see any differance at all so IMO run what ya brung lol

Old 01-17-2002, 11:12 PM
2001ORP, the factory rim's are clearcoated though,My factory rim's hold up fine in winter,but the aftermarket one's that are polished are not clearcoated.

What style rim do you have ?

Old 01-19-2002, 03:02 PM
I live In Waukesha and I run the stock polished wheels. I just clean them well once the roads clear up. Just not to soon to get fresh salt back on them. I'm going to get aftermarket wheels and run them in the summer.

Old 01-19-2002, 11:46 PM
FFEric224,
The stock/factory rim's are easy to take care of . I clean mine every week . They are all clearcoated so the salt/grime will not affect them. My original question was about aftermarket/polished because I don't want to mess around with switching them every spring/fall.
What type of truck do you have ? What style of stock rim's do you have ? The factory rim's are cast alum. with clearcoat,not polished like an aftermarket rim would be.

Hey do you know anyone who is looking for some tire's ? I have a set of brand new take-off's from my truck sitting in the basement.
They are Goodyear RT/S 265/70/17 with less than 200 mile's on them. Since your from my area I thought you might know someone.

Where do you usually go to buy truck stuff ?

Last edited by FALLSCREW; 01-19-2002 at 11:55 PM.
Old 02-01-2002, 04:19 PM
i have polished ar bajas on my truck. the exhaust runs out in front of the rear tire and dicolored it badly.also some bleach white mist on the other rims. will anything get this off? tried eagle one but no luck.

Old 02-01-2002, 05:16 PM
I don't run mine in winter.

I've got Eagle Alloy 1189's on my truck during the summer. Since the winter was so mild here up until Christmas, I left them on. Well, I ran them in snow (salt) one day before I took them off and put my stockers back on. I had to spend an entire day polishing my 1189's to get them back to shining. Just one day in the salt and they were already getting oxidized. Let's just say it sucked enough that those wheels will never see snow and salt again.

Bob

Old 02-04-2002, 12:22 PM
Run the stock rims

Trust me, the salt will pit and damage your aluminium wheels. I had a hunch when I first got my Centerlines and checked them after the first application of salt/brine/whatever it is the DOT uses to melt ice and snow. I found some pitting starting. I have had the wheels when I got my 97 XL 4x4. I traditonally take them off about mid October just to be safe. Good luck and happy polishing!

Old 02-04-2002, 09:38 PM
If you have the extra set use them. I have AR Baja's and thought about putting stockers back on but didn't have the $ at the time to put new rubber on them. In just 2 snow storms and a little salt and cinders have probably stained them for life. I spent 4 hours the other day polishing by hand and they are no where close to new looking. I am tempted to get new tires and put the stockers back on for the remaining winter. Just don't know if we will have more snow this season or not.
To clean up bad rims Max Mitchell just informed me that Wenol polish should do the trick.
Here's the thread:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...threadid=65026

Quick Reply: Polished alum. rim's in winter.