Problem cleaning factory aluminum wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2001, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Problem cleaning factory aluminum wheels

Hey guys,

This is my first post, but from what I have seen, there is some good info here. I have noticed several things that I need to get FORD to fix.

My immediate need concerns my wheels. For a while now I have noticed that I am getting this "white haze" in sort of a splotchy pattern on my rims. I have the stock 16" aluminum that came on the 1997 trucks. I noticed this about a year ago, but it has since continued to worse. It is at the point now that it depresses me when I wash my wheels.

First I thought I must have put something on them that I shouldn't have. For the first 3-4 years, I only used that Eagle All-Wheel cleaner on them. I don't think that would do it. I have only used 409 and that Wesley's tire cleaner on my tires. Other than that, nothing else has hit my wheels and tires intentionally.

Anyway, I can't seem to get this stuff off. When the wheels are wet, they look great. When they start drying, they start to take on this white discoloration. It's like some white film on the rims, like I have let soap dry on there or something. But it doesn't wipe off. I have washed and drenched the rims with no luck.

I have wondered for a while, and now wondering more, if this has been due to the exhaust being in front of the right rear tire. Thinking is that maybe through 5 years of tire rotations it has affected every rim. One thing I did notice was that it was only bad at first on one rim, and noticeable on another. Over time, all have fallen victim to this. But I don't remember being able to tie it to the right rear, or I just didn't pay attention at the time.

Anyway, I know the exhaust has messed up other things. I opened the drum brake on the right rear once to find it covered in rust. The left side looks like new. I immediately figured that it was the exhaust. The lug nuts on that side are orange now as well. That's another topic I guess.

Does anyone have a solution for cleaning what I am seeing. Hope I have described it OK. I can try to get a digital photo if necessary. I read through what I could find before posting. I saw suggestions for using things like Coke and Blue Magic. I think those wheels are clear coated aluminum, with the gray portions being painted I guess. Never figured any Aluminum polish was appropriate. I have tried some clear coat polishing compound, but any results, if positive at all, were VERY short lived.

Any suggestions?

I also have the door cracks on BOTH sides by the way. I wish I had been keeping up with you guys long ago.

Thanks,
Tim Daley
Greenville, SC

Old 10-16-2001, 10:17 AM
Re: Problem cleaning factory aluminum wheels

Originally posted by tfdaley
"white haze" in sort of a splotchy pattern on my rims
tfdaley,

I recently changed to the Eagle One Wheel Cleaner and noticed the same problem on my wife's 1994 T-Bird (clear coated aluminum)! So far I have been able to get rid of the white 'splotchy' marks using a cleaner wax on the rims.

I have not and will not use any type of cleaner on my truck rims. I found that if I keep them clean and waxed I don't get the brake dust build up . . . so, simple washing is all I need.

Anyroad, try the cleaner wax or even some mild rubbing compound and see if that helps . . . !

Old 10-18-2001, 03:23 AM
These problems are exactly the reason that ford switched to a behind the tire exhaust exit. I would recommend getting a cat back exhaust that will move it to behind the wheel. I don't know if Ford will do anything about it or not, as your truck is likely out of warranty. Worst case, nex time you get tires, buy some cool rims at the same time. You might be able to find a decent set of stock rims on Ebay for like $300 or so.

Mitch

Quick Reply: Problem cleaning factory aluminum wheels