Napa Adaptive 1 Brake issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 06:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Napa Adaptive 1 Brake issue

First time posting here, but have browsed a lot over the past few years. Finally have something to contribute!

About 2 years ago i did the rear brakes on my truck (2008 F150 XL 5.4L Supercrew 6.5') and I used NAPA Ultra Premium rotors and Adaptive 1 pads. They worked great until this year when the rotors warped and brake power was...weak. So, i replaced them last night and that is when I decided to NEVER use A1 pads again. Heres why:

The first reason is that the pad material started to separate from the backing material. Had this gotten any worse i could have easily ended up in a ditch or worse when they actually failed.
Name:  Resized_20170302_173028.jpeg
Views: 356
Size:  260.8 KB

The second reason is that the retaining clips that go into the piston completely rotted away. My caliper piston was full of rust flakes. These should not have corroded so quickly. I never use my truck to take boats in or out of the water, nor do i drive it on the beach. The only water it sees is rain and the car wash.
Name:  Resized_20170302_173040.jpeg
Views: 301
Size:  34.3 KB
Name:  Resized_20170302_173127.jpeg
Views: 303
Size:  287.2 KB

Other than those 2 things, the overall performance during the nearly 50k miles I had them was pretty good. They were low dust. No noise. Smooth and reliable. But, after seeing those to thing, and knowing it only takes one piece of equipment to malfunction for you or somebody else to get hurt, or worse, killed; I could never in good conscious put these on another car again. Its just not worth the risk to me to possibly lose my family or for somebody else to lose their family over something like this.

Please don't flame me for blasting NAPA parts, because that is not what I'm doing. Call it a consumer awareness bulletin if you may. Im not looking for NAPA to replace these under some type of warranty, i got 50k good miles out of them. It would be wrong to bring them back now and complain just to get a free set of new ones. Who knows, maybe this is an isolated problem anyways. Im no engineer, just a technician.

I also posted this on another page, only to find out that its the least used f150 forum on the web...