Wheel and Tire help

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel and Tire help

I only have 3 choices for tires on my truck. 3 kinds of all seasons..
Currently I have new Pirelli Scorpion Asimmetrico 275/45/22 They suck in the heavy New England snow. I'm sliding everywhere.

Next year I'm going to get real Winter tires. Nice knobby ones.
But it means I'll probably have to switch to a 17" rim.

Any know what size tire and rim I am searching for if I switch to a 17" winter tire?
Do I just search Raptor Rims on ebay and get the size? Does Raptor rims fit on my truck?

2013 F150 Limited SuperCrew 5.5' bed
(6 lugs)

Old 02-15-2017, 02:28 PM
glc
Received 760 Likes on 704 Posts
Your tires are 31.75" in diameter, you should choose winter tires that are close to that, they don't necessarily have to be 17's. Tire Rack has a lot of winter tire and wheel packages. They have them in 17, 18, and 20.

265/70/17
255/70/18
275/55/20

You don't want knobbies, you want a winter tire that has a sticky tread compound such as Bridgestone Blizzaks.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are going to want separate wheels for your winter tires. Part of the reason for me is to keep the salt & grime off my regular summer wheels. Just use 18" wheels as there are a lot of choices in winter tires that size. As glc said just try to get as close to your stock size as you can. Look at the tire size plate inside your driver door jam.

Winter tires do not need to be "nice knobby" ones. Pick a tire that has good reviews - some are better for snow only and some for ice only (which is more of what I need). And don't get overly wide tires - that is more detrimental in snow and ice. Again - stick with the stock size.

I have a 2009 with 6-lug wheels. I bought a set of used stock rims off a 2004 (18") then bought a set of winter tires. Don't forget about a set of TPMS sensors and activator if you don't want to look at your TPMS light all winter.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:46 AM
Excellent. Thanks for the advice. This gives me a lot more options.

I was planning on having a whole different set of winters to put on. And swap out the all Seasons for the other 7 months of the year.

But now I can start pricing out 18" rims and new set of Blizzaks.
Getting them over the next couple of weeks or so when getting close to the end of the season.. close outs starting to happen with left over stock.. etc.
I should be able to get a great deal now compared to looking in October.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blizzaks are a very good choice.

You will be astounded by the difference using those tires in the snow/ice/slush - very well worth the effort and money in my opinion.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:32 AM
I agree, I'm a big fan of Blizzaks. I have them on my wifes suv now and I had them on my last truck.