ABS Problems

Old 09-20-2015, 06:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS Problems

New guy here, and very glad I found this forum. I'm looking for some advice. I recently bought a 2000 F150 for my son. We decided to take it elk hunting. Last weekend after a lot of slow driving on very rough dusty roads I noticed a clanking sound from the right rear. I tried to figure it out up in the woods, but couldn't find anything wrong, and it went away. Went up again this weekend and just before we left, it started again. Drove it carefully for a while and it went away again. I figured I was getting dirt into something and needed to pull the wheel this week and take a close look. Then, ABS light came on and stayed on, and when you shut the pickup off, there is a loud humming under the hood, right around the airbox.

I'm trying to avoid mechanics on this truck as it is my son's first and I want him to work on any issues that come up himself. I think that's important. Any suggestions where to start on this? I've tried to search the forum and am leaning towards ABS control module, but wondering how that addresses the noise in the right rear wheel, or wondering if addressing the RR wheel might fix the other issue?

Any ideas. Sorry so long on the description. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-21-2015, 12:18 PM
sounds like maybe you damaged the wheel speed sensor and/or the tone ring. That would cause the ABS light to come on. And if the damage caused the sensor to rub on the tone ring that would explain the wheel noise.

not sure about the humming... was it really hot? Maybe a cooling fan was running?

Old 10-19-2015, 09:36 PM
I have a 2004 F-150 Super Crew, 4.6, automatic, two wheel drive. My engine light has came on twice within 6 weeks. I go to O"Reilly's and get their code download box. Unfortunately, it's a Bosch brand. And all it does when I hook up to it, it gives me two items...ABS and ABS (RABS). But no real code. I've checked the fluid level and it was good to go both times. So, do I start looking at the sensors first, or start looking at something else first? When I disconnect the battery, wait, and then hook it back up, the engine light goes out.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:25 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
When you disconnect the battery, it clears the codes.

Go to a parts store that has a reader that will give you the actual code. Autozone has them. They will read codes free in all US states except California. If you want to buy your own reader, they are cheap.

Amazon.com: Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for OBDII Vehicles: Automotive Amazon.com: Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for OBDII Vehicles: Automotive

NOTE that these readers won't read ABS codes, just "P" (powertrain) codes. ABS issues don't trip the CEL, they trip the ABS light.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ABS Problems