2004 abs brake problems

Old 08-20-2015, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 abs brake problems

When I start driving I hit the brakes the antilock kicks in and makes it hard to stop the truck. After I jab the brakes a couple times the abs light kicks on and it stops doing this. What could be causing this problem?

Old 08-20-2015, 10:34 PM
2004 abs brake problems

You could have a faulty abs sensor or even just a dirty sensor. If it's been a while (meaning more than a few years), you might need to flush out the brake fluid and get some fresh fluid in there.
If the abs light is coming on, there is a code being stored. You need to get that code read. Unfortunately, most auto parts stores can't read abs codes, so you'll have to go to either a dealership or a competent mechanic. Otherwise, I and anyone else commenting are just taking shots in the dark.
If I were in your shoes and didn't know what the abs computer was telling me, I would start by checking all wiring, making sure the sensors are relatively clean, and flushing out all the old brake fluid.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:38 PM
Changing your brake fluid will have ZERO affect on this issue.

But Lewis was mostly right... it sounds like its a faulty wheel speed sensor. Its reporting that one of the wheels is locked up and that activates ABS. After a few stops the system realizes that the data doesn't make sense and shuts off.
(this is called a plausibility fault)

The codes will likely point you to which sensor is reporting bad data.

There is also a slight chance that the issue is in the ECU, but this seems less likely.

Old 08-25-2015, 11:20 PM
2004 abs brake problems

I'll take mostly right over mostly worng!

Have you figured anything out yet?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 abs brake problems