The Brakes Blues

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 04:36 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question The Brakes Blues

My nephew just graduated high school and his parents bought him an F150 similar to mine. His is an 08 F150 XL, 5 speed, with 109K miles. I admit that it's in great shape. It just needs a few minor mechanical repairs, such as the brakes.
Here is where we get into a p*****g contest on what he should use as brake pads. I suggested semi metallic Wagner Thermo-Quiets all around, but his dad is gung ho on using Duralast Gold ceramic.
The rotors are in such great shape that I suggested just roughing them up with some emory cloth and install the pads. At least he agree's with me on that.
Any suggestions on how to convince him he only needs semi metallic pads instead of ceramic pads or am I missing something here? He will only be driving it to school (LSU-23 miles one way) and on weekends when he needs to go to the store or a friends house.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:39 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
I agree with ceramics. The rotors should be turned or replaced.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:28 PM
Thumbs up

This past weekend we changed my nephew's front and rear brakes, rotors, and flushed the lines. Everything (existing parts) was borderline, to say the least. We went back with all Wagner parts, including Thermo-Quiet semi-metallic pads.
While we were at it, we "FINALLY" replaced my rear pads as well. My truck still had factory pads on the rear with almost 118 K miles. I also did a brake fluid exchange. WOW! That was some dirty brake fluid in there!
I took a couple of pics of my rear pads. There was still a so-so amount of meat still left on them.
When I go to my nephew's house this week I will take pics of his parts, if he still has them.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:10 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
That's a lot of pad left on the rear pads. Typically fronts twice and rears soon after the second set of pads goes in

Old 05-18-2015, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by Patman
That's a lot of pad left on the rear pads. Typically fronts twice and rears soon after the second set of pads goes in
My truck's mileage is about 80% to 90% highway driven miles.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:16 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
I replaced my fronts at 65k with Centric ceramics and rotors. I have 180k on the truck now, the fronts and (original) rears still pass inspection easily.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:17 AM
Question

I finally made it to my nephews house yesterday. He had cleaned out the whole garage and threw away all of the old brake parts. But, something that I had remembered was different with the old pads on his truck; the pads had a split in the middle of the brake material. I see the pics of pads with the split in them but have never come across any on all of the 04-08 F150's brake jobs I had done in the past.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:30 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I use the ThermoQuiet semi-metallic exclusively. Best pad I have ever used. I never turn rotors unless they are severely scored. Just clean them.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:21 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Bluejay
I use the ThermoQuiet semi-metallic exclusively. Best pad I have ever used. I never turn rotors unless they are severely scored. Just clean them.
BJ, I do the same procedure. When I replaced the front and rear pads the rotors looked so good I thought they were new.
What I do is take some emery cloth and do a circular motion on the rotors. I then spray brake clean on them and wipe them down.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:08 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
I finally made it to my nephews house yesterday. He had cleaned out the whole garage and threw away all of the old brake parts. But, something that I had remembered was different with the old pads on his truck; the pads had a split in the middle of the brake material. I see the pics of pads with the split in them but have never come across any on all of the 04-08 F150's brake jobs I had done in the past.
I believe mine had them. I wonder if it's to help dissipate heat to prevent rotor warpage

Quick Reply: The Brakes Blues