Wrangler A/T w/ Kevlar vs. Michelin LTX A/T 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 02:14 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wrangler A/T w/ Kevlar vs. Michelin LTX A/T 2

Anyone running either of these tires? If so, can you comment on noise and ride quality, please?

Looking at putting one of these on my SCREW... 275/55/R20

Thanks, guys...

Old 12-26-2014, 03:08 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Michelin LTX A/T2 has been proven to offer a very good ride quality with low noise.

I like the Goodyear Wrangler Adventure with Kevlar, but I would have a hard time recommending it over the Michelin if ride quality and low noise are important to you. -not that the Goodyear isn't good, but the Michelin has been proven to be better.

Old 12-26-2014, 03:15 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I appreciate that, AJ. I'm definitely interested in ride quality and noise first -- I'm not offroad very often at all but, I prefer an 'AT' tire for my truck - just to have the simple ability to have 'some' traction if/when I am on the dirt.

I do like the look of the white letters on the Goodyear but, I'm not sure if that's such a selling point.

It appears that both get very good reviews....

Old 12-26-2014, 04:24 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
I got these: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes for my 2005 last summer and they are by far superior to the Goodyear Silent Armor tires that I had on it before. The Goodyears had a combination of steel and kevlar belts.

As I said in another post, I could never get the Silent Armors balanced - even after 5 (or more trips) back to the tire shop. They always started vibrating in the 65-70 mph range. The last balancing trip was the most successful, but they were still not perfect. Other than that, the Goodyears wore well and I never got a flat in about 45,000 miles on them.

The new Michelins ride smooth as silk, they are quiet, and, since I tow regularly, I appreciate the higher load rating they have. I inflate them to the OEM pressure of 40 psi when I'm not towing and to 55 psi when I tow. They have a 70,000 mile treadwear warranty, which is better than the Goodyear's 50,000 mile warranty.

I know I'm not talking about the tires you're considering, but at this point I'm totally sold on the Michelin brand.

Edit: I should add I drove the new tires over 34 miles of 4WD road last fall (Forest Service fire road), at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. There were quite a few big rocks, and some muddy spots. I had no trouble at all with them.

- Jack

Last edited by JackandJanet; 12-26-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:09 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by Rockpick
It appears that both get very good reviews....
They both get good reviews, but make sure to look at the amount of miles reported.

The Michelin LTX line has always been one of Michelin's best offerings for trucks when it comes to a superior ride and low noise.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AJ@tirerack.com
The Michelin LTX A/T2 has been proven to offer a very good ride quality with low noise.

I like the Goodyear Wrangler Adventure with Kevlar, but I would have a hard time recommending it over the Michelin if ride quality and low noise are important to you. -not that the Goodyear isn't good, but the Michelin has been proven to be better.
My girlfriend got the wrangler adventure all terrain with kevlar on her truck and they are amazing. I have NEVER heard her engine while cruising. Usually wind noise and road noise cover that up. She got the all terrains and WOW. No road noise on pavement, a little on bumpy dirt roads tho. I have never had a Michelin tire so I can't say these are better but I think the good years are great. I have the Wrangler sr-a on my ram and they are ok. I think the tires are a little loud but the truck soaks most of it up. Next set will be the adventure with kevlar.

Last edited by timmypstyle; 01-17-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:48 AM
I'm looking at the LT version of the Michelin tire. Did you lose mpg, rough ride and what psi do you run them at?

Old 11-05-2015, 01:13 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by texdogs
I'm looking at the LT version of the Michelin tire. Did you lose mpg, rough ride and what psi do you run them at?
Texdogs, see my post #4 above. I had the LT Michelins when I still had my 2005 King Ranch. They were excellent tires, and I got the same mpg with them as I did with the Goodyears.

- Jack

Old 03-04-2017, 03:08 PM
hey guys, I live in Fort McMurray Alberta, had some worn out Yokohama's, replaced them with the Goodyear all terrain adventure with kevlar in November of 2016. when the snow and bad weather hit...wow!! sliding all over the place. terrible!! i wish i went with the Michelin. or my old Yokohama's at least. can i return these, I only put 4300 km on them.
I'm 50 and never experienced such terrible tires.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I needed new weiners on my 01'F-150 4x4 offroad Lariat. Had Mich.LTX's butPrated 6ply.No good in NM. Did a lot of research & looking at what comes in to local shop from ranchers xcountry travelers & hunters.
Was going to get Duratracks as I know many who use them on trucks like mine & do well with them. But very pricey now. Mich 10 ply the same.The M LTX's worked well except when it gets real muddy,which is any time it rains or snows in NM...lol
Local guy had Yokahama Geolanders GO15's my size in stock. Got them 1/3rd less than Duratracs & half Mich LTX.
Excellent tire! Gone thru a monsoon season,woodcutting & winter so far. Almost as quiet & smooth on hwy as LTX's and no problems with weather conditions with exception of mud,then I just put it in 4x and no problem. They are harder ride with 10 ply & 60 lbs pressure but they ride fine overall.
Now the how long they will last where I live test.So far on 2 trucks Mich on a tacoma lasted 3 yrs.Does not matter how many miles really here.
I see lots of Goodyears & Goodrichs sliding all over the place. Wranglers/Dura's almost never.Mich slide in mud too. Just an observation. Same with what got sheared off the front end suspensions or what an elk will do to a truck...not good.

Geolander 10 ply gets a great so far. 10 mo's old.

Quick Reply: Wrangler A/T w/ Kevlar vs. Michelin LTX A/T 2