Horrible grinding sound from right rear wheel???

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 09:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Horrible grinding sound from right rear wheel???

Hi all, 2006 XLT Screw 4WD, 84k miles, never had any major problems with the truck before. About a week or so ago I noticed a slight grinding/pushing sound when braking to a complete stop (sound was noticeable from about 10mph - 0mph).

I am a student going to school out of state, so I was planning on waiting until I went home (where we have tools/jacks/impact/ect) to take the wheel off and check things out. Anyways, yesterday the grinding was getting loud and today it sounds straight up HORRIBLE. When coming to a complete stop, it sounds like driving the truck through about 2 feet of snow, and now while driving (even at high speeds (50mph)), it sounds like a light constant metal to metal grind.

The driving or breaking isn't affected at all, the truck handles and drives fine, but this sound... it sounds like the rear end is about to fall off.

I had one of my friends drive it around and I tried to listen to where it's coming from, the sound is only from the right rear wheel only. I checked (it was dark, gonna look again tomorrow) the wheel the best I could - I don't have access to a jack, and nothing really jumped out at me on the rotor, the brake pad looks like it has at least 1/8" left (probably needs changed soon but it does still have some pad).

Any ideas as to what this could be? Should I get a jack and try to put new pads on it? I don't think it's the brake pad because of the god awful grind sound opposed to a nasty squeak... It's much too loud/violent to be a rock stuck behind the caliper guard, I read something about the ABS mechanism basically falling apart inside the drum? Anyone have any similar experience? Any help would be great, thank you!

Cliffs
- AWFUL grinding noise from right rear wheel
- sounds like plowing thru snow when coming to a stop
- constant grinding while driving (wasn't this way at first)
- doesn't appear to be anything wrong looking with the rotor but I could be wrong

Old 11-19-2014, 10:18 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
It's probably the emergency brake assembly, which is in a small drum on the back side of the rotor.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by glc
It's probably the emergency brake assembly, which is in a small drum on the back side of the rotor.
Thanks for the suggestion. Is that something I will be able to access and just take apart/off and still be able to drive the truck before I can get home next week and get part for it?

Old 11-20-2014, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by Montavon
the brake pad looks like it has at least 1/8" left (probably needs changed soon but it does still have some pad).
Did you check both pads? Maybe get a mirror and a flashlight to see it better without removing the wheel?

1/8" is not very much pad to have left. Its possible the pad on the other side is worn down to metal.

The noise you describe sounds like the metal backing plate is rubbing on the rotor.

If that is the case, you will need new pads and new rotors.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by mkosu04
Did you check both pads? Maybe get a mirror and a flashlight to see it better without removing the wheel?

1/8" is not very much pad to have left. Its possible the pad on the other side is worn down to metal.

The noise you describe sounds like the metal backing plate is rubbing on the rotor.

If that is the case, you will need new pads and new rotors.
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I was able to get a jack and take the wheel off, turns out it actually was the inside pad.... completely worn down to the metal, no pad left at all. Swapped it out with a new pad, gonna get some rotors and change the other side when I get home next week. Thanks for the input

Quick Reply: Horrible grinding sound from right rear wheel???