broken brake line help

Old 10-23-2014, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
WD-40 doesn't do squat compared to PB Blaster.
use extreme caution when applying these chemicals to your brake system.

Mineral oil based lubricants will destroy your EPDM seals in the master cylinder and the ABS, if they get into the brake fluid.

I would recommend that as soon as the fitting breaks loose (I mean a 1/4 turn max) you should carefully rinse the area with rubbing alcohol to remove all oil.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by EsJayEs
Try cutting the line nearly flush if you can get a socket on it. That should give you a lot more leverage. Once on, you can tap the wrench with a hammer to try and break it loose. Once broken loose, rock the nut back and forth a few times to remove it. By using a 6-point socket, there is minimal risk of rounding the nut.

You can get a piece of brake line and bend it yourself.
We had a ton of rain here so I'll get back to messing with this tomorrow. I have been spraying it with PB Blaster but I haven't tried to loosen it again

Yeah, that's a good idea but unfortunately, to get at this bolt with a socket, I need to remove another bolt in it's way which is also stuck! So I'm trying and willing to remove either one.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:26 PM
I got the bolt off! thanks to everyone for the recommendations.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by mkosu04
use extreme caution when applying these chemicals to your brake system.

Mineral oil based lubricants will destroy your EPDM seals in the master cylinder and the ABS, if they get into the brake fluid.

I would recommend that as soon as the fitting breaks loose (I mean a 1/4 turn max) you should carefully rinse the area with rubbing alcohol to remove all oil.
Thank you, I will do that now.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by EsJayEs
Try cutting the line nearly flush if you can get a socket on it. That should give you a lot more leverage. Once on, you can tap the wrench with a hammer to try and break it loose. Once broken loose, rock the nut back and forth a few times to remove it. By using a 6-point socket, there is minimal risk of rounding the nut.

You can get a piece of brake line and bend it yourself.
Besides PB blaster and heat, the final step that worked was bending the other brake lines and putting one of those long sockets onto the bolt that went into my ABS (the brake line went into that bolt).

Now that that bolts out, I still can't remove the brake line bolt that went into the bolt I was able to remove. I heated it up orange by hand and it won't come undone. Not that it matters now but never would have gotten those 2 apart!

thanks again to you and everyone else for sharing their ideas.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: broken brake line help