Steering Wheel Shake

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Wheel Shake

I have a 2006 F150 FX4 with 100,500 miles on it. I had my tires rotated yesterday. I noticed a shake on my way home. I have had these tires out of balance before so thats what I figured it was. I had them rebalanced today and the shake is a lot less severe but still there. I don't feel it until I get around 60 mph. I have no problems braking and there is no pull at all. I did have 1 of the tires get punctured by a piece of rebar. That tire was patched and is now on the front. Could that be causing the shake or could it be something else. Also, before the rotation the truck drove fine and smooth.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check your intermediate steering shaft from steering wheel to the top of the rack for slop.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had shake on mine too. Get them to rebalance the tires again. A LOT of shops balance "close enough" which on these trucks isn't anywhere near close... If they are heaping a ton of weight on once side of the rim, they need to "clock" the tire to get the tire / wheel assembly closer to balance without added weights... Any reasonably experienced tire tech will know about this... The tire shop I bought my tires from never could get them balanced well enough, but 4 wheel parts did the job when I had to replace a rim due to vandalism, and it has been smooth as glass since...

Old 07-29-2014, 09:32 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Break the bead loose on one side and poor 5-6 ounces of AirSoft BBs in each one, air up, try a test drive.

I recently used "Red Jacket" 0.15gr 6mm BBs ..... just 3 ounces each .... to fine tune the balance in some smaller tires on our '08 Mustang. The tires were machine balanced dynamically first, but the TPMSensors caused heavy weights on one area and several attempts, still had vibration. The 3 ounces BBs in each eliminated all vibration.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:31 AM
Three words for you ROAD FORCE BALANCE

Old 08-16-2014, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by Bigmoss
Three words for you ROAD FORCE BALANCE
From a reputable wheel and tire shop.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:20 PM
I'm interested in what you find out is causing the problem. My 07 SCREW 4x4 is doing the same around 55-60. I've been searching the forums, but haven't seen a sure fire fix. Its going in the shop next week.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:48 PM
If everything is tight, as far as steering components goes, most vibration is tire balance issues, but not limited to a drive shaft out of balance from throwing a weight. We balance tires all the time and can balance to over 54 inches and 300 pounds. One thing I have seen is people balance tires on newer machines, then slam a weight on it and call it good. Tire balancers may tell what weight and where. But if you just place a weight on it and call it good, you may have placed the weight in the wrong place, or may have a object inside the tire rolling around from a previous tire repair. Its best to always spin up a tire, place your weights and then spin it again, to make sure it is in balance. If your weight keeps changing after each spin up, pull the tire off the rim and inspect both for an object

Old 10-02-2014, 09:55 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Also have them check run out on each tire. I had a balance issue and after a run out test they replaced the tires. With a run out issue the tires will balance but shake on the highway.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Shake