Thinking of switching to BFGs

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 12:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thinking of switching to BFGs

So I'm currently running 285/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers. I just got them a few months ago, actually. They've got about 2,000 miles on them. For some reason I've got an urge to switch to BFG All-Terrains. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Terra Grapplers. Nitto makes a solid tire with a great looking tread design. but I do have a few reasons why I'm considering the switch:

1) These Terra Grapplers are P-rated tires with a max PSI of 40. I usually run them at about 35 for daily driving, but then I add some air when towing. So basically I'm towing a 5,000 lb. boat every other weekend with the tires at max air pressure. Makes me a bit uneasy. Perhaps a 10-ply would be a good investment?

2) I've got a buddy who would buy the Terra Grapplers from me for his Dodge if I took them off the truck. He said he'd pay $700 for them (I paid $900 getting them new)

3) I've had nothing but good experiences with the tread life of the BFGs in the past, and I really like the looks of them.

4) And the real reason for all of this... I really miss having the raised white letters (I'm not kidding about this, )

So I'd be eating a couple hundred bucks, but for the preferred looks, the higher load range, and helping out buddy, I'm considering it.

Thoughts? Or am I just wasting money here?

Old 04-19-2014, 01:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Give Hankook at try, I really like mine.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't go to 10 ply. They are a rough riding tire. My choice would be Goodyear ATS, they come in a six ply. That is what came standard with my truck with the trailering package. I got just over 60k miles with the first set. But be warned they, may be a shock to your pocketbook!

Old 04-19-2014, 01:40 AM

Ignoring ALL reasons, if you have a buyer at $700, change tires. That's a $200 hit, which is nothing. You clearly want to change, so I say to just do it.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

The ten ply's will ride like a tank. When I got my Cooper Discoverer AT3's, the first set I got were the LT275/65-18. They had a "C" load rating, I think seven ply. Those things had my truck feeling every pebble in the road. I went back the next day to complain about them. They took it for a drive. Told me because they were an LT tire, seven ply and ran at a rated 50psi that it would have a rougher ride. So I said I wanted to go back to a "P" rated tire. I switched to a P275/65-18, 116T tire, at 35psi and she was back to riding on butter. The trucks door sticker says 35psi so that's what I run even when towing.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:57 PM
Hmm, all good points. Perhaps I'll meet in the middle and look into the D load range.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:30 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
LR C is 50 PSI max

LR D is 65 PSI max

LR E is 80 PSI max

If you run any of these tires at say 40 PSI for everyday driving, they will all ride basically the same..

I ran LR C tires for quite a few years on my old 97 F150. I'd run the fronts at 44 and the rears at 42 and it was a pretty smooth ride.

The last set of tires I got for it was LR E tires, because they didn't have LR C or D and the other choice was "P" rated, and I didn't want those...

They put on the E's and I ran them at the same PSI I did on the C's and I could not tell any difference in the ride... It was still "firm", but no real difference that I could tell.. I even had new shocks on the truck and that made the most difference... With the new shocks AND the E rated tires, it was better than the C's with the OLD shocks..

Anyway, I don't have that truck anymore... Traded it for the 13 a couple of months ago, so I am stuck with 20" "P" rated tires, but since they are a 55 series tire (the 97 had 75 series tires), so far I'm not hating the "P" tires (44 PSI max and I have them at 40 PSI all around at the moment.)

So, get the new tires if you want... Hell, you are getting $700 for your old tires, so depending on the cost of the 4 new BFG's, you'll still be paying more, but you'll have what you want and in the long run, that's what will make you happy and that's all that matters, right??

Mitch

Old 04-19-2014, 07:52 PM
Go for it. I have C rated 35 BFGs running 45 psi and they ride great.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do it ! I've run BFG's for over 30 years and they have never failed me yet. Sounds like your boat is about the same weight as mine, I run 35's with 42 lbs rides and pulls great.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:49 AM
Well, change of plans. After pricing the BFGs, it looks like it would be about a $400 difference between the price of the BFGs and the $700 I'm getting for my current Nittos. Turns out I can get an E load range Terra Grappler in 285/75/17 for a difference of only $150.

So for $150 instead of $400, I can live without the white letters. I'll get the higher load range I need, and an extra inch in tire height as a bonus

And if they have any tread left on them I can transfer them to my hypothetical Super Duty in a few years

Quick Reply: Thinking of switching to BFGs