2011 F150 Rotors

Old 10-05-2012, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 F150 Rotors

Has anyone else had problems with warped rotors? I have a 2011 F150 that has 20K on it and the rotors were warping causing vibration in the wheel and the brake pedal when brakes were applied. I don't ride my brakes and do not believe I cause them to overheat, but the Ford service guy is saying they were overheating and I should use the parking brake when at a red light to allow the rotors to cool some while waiting for the light to change. I didn't see anything like that anywhere in the owner's manual. Am I getting bad info from them? What are the best rotors to use on this model?

Old 10-10-2012, 07:59 PM
Rotor Issues

My 2007 has had the same issue since 10K miles. Its been to the dealer 4x -- about every 15K mis. with the same issue. At 10K mi. the dealer asked if I had driven through some cold water! I told him that the ads show the truck driving over mountains, snow and through brick walls. They "fixed it" and I was told they replaced the parts. Again at 25K, again at 40K and again a 54K when they told me it was not covered by warranty and the rotors could not be turned any more. I had specifically reqeusted each time before that they put on new rotors and each time they said "yes we did". This was now the first time they admitted that they simply turned them each time before. I told them that was exactly why I requested new ones, because turning bad rotors, is like plaining a warped board -- it is still warped, just thinner in the high spots. Also, kicking the can down the road would lead to a no warranty issue. Of course I originally bought the extended Ford warranty to 6yrs 75K. After two weeks of fighting with Corporate Ford, they agreeded to replace the rotors at a warranteed cost to me of $100 (as opposed to the $900 they quoted for the two fronts!). Angry, I accepted. . . . at approximately 60K mi, I began feeling the old familiar wheel shake upon braking.

I do not abuse my truck, take it off road or subject it to any adverse conditions. I drive to work on nice streets and on the highway from time to time. Routine -- perhaps pampered use, for a truck of this caliber.

This is a known and common problem. Search the web, there are hundred of posts like yours. Cheap rotors. These are great trucks overall, but there are certain corners Ford just cannot seem to help itself on cost cutting (ie. the 1960's paper speaker cones, the napkin-sized floormats, annoying Radio Shack close-out fuel alarms, dim headlights, etc.). The rotors are simply of poor quality or insufficient for the load. What other 2011 vehicle requires you to use the parking brake in traffic? Really? I have a 1996 Landcruiser with 200K mi. with original front rotors -- no shake (and it has been off road and through cold water!).

Do yourself a favor and get a set of EBC's or Roto Pros and get on with enjoying your truck. Do not waste time or money on the stock Ford rotors. If they replace yours under warranty, then great. But know what is coming and do not waste time arguing with Ford. The aftermarkets I mentioned will improve your braking performance anyway so they are a clear upgrade and good investment.

Last edited by Centexrider; 10-10-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Jills2011F150
Has anyone else had problems with warped rotors? I have a 2011 F150 that has 20K on it and the rotors were warping causing vibration in the wheel and the brake pedal when brakes were applied. I don't ride my brakes and do not believe I cause them to overheat, but the Ford service guy is saying they were overheating and I should use the parking brake when at a red light to allow the rotors to cool some while waiting for the light to change. I didn't see anything like that anywhere in the owner's manual. Am I getting bad info from them? What are the best rotors to use on this model?
Well, its' not unusual because of the compisite (AL) metals that are used. With regards to rotors, most (90% including the oem replacements) are mfg'd in china.......although you can sometimes get lucky & get a USA made one at a dealer. I have previously run Brembo OEM replacement rotors that are cryogenically treated at Diversified Cryogenics, making them almost as hard as stainless steel- Applied Rotor Technology in California provides the same product- but I would not rely on their delivery as it is essentially a 1 person shop owned/run by a Boeing engineer who works back east, travels alot and works at ART on weekends the last of my phone conversations with him). Unfortunately, Brembo, Powerslot, Raybestos, Bendix, Hawk etc. are all purchasing their rotors from the same foundary in China (with the exception of the $300 each composite high end units for Ferrari, Porsche, etc).

Both companies purchase the highest grade rotors made, laser mic them for quality, scrap the ones that are out of spec and cryogenically treat the good ones which are now as strong as stainless. They will also slot and cross drill the rotors for you (although I would not recommend it unless you have "special conditions"). DC's service, price and quality are excellent as well.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The main reason for warped rotors is unevenly torqued lug nuts. DO NOT TRUST anyone who works on your vehicle to torque them properly. If after someone works on your vehicle, you torque them yourself, it is a good possibility you will never have warped rotors again. I have not had to replace or turn rotors since 1993, and I am fairly hard on brakes. On my 04, I had problems with the calipers not freeing up to the point the brakes were smoking, but the rotors never warped.
It is even in the owners manual, as that is one thing everyone should know.
150 ftlbs.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:22 PM
I have had that problem rotors are blistering and causing a bad pulsation till i changed them probably can break and cause you to loose brakes Ford should look at the problem.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Right after this past years deer hunting season, I started to get a slight shimmy when I hit the brakes. By March it was getting pretty shaky, especially when I was towing the Ranger. I had my rotors replaced in April because they became warped. I had 36,223 miles on the truck. And I'm usually pretty easy on my brakes. You know, it still didn't seem right to me that they would warp so "easily". But, my '94 T'bird has the same problem. It seems like that they're always getting turned. And I just replaced them last summer too. The trucks rotors where $78.00 each and labor was about 200.00, so I paid about $356.00. I didn't feel like getting into an arguement that morning, and they usually treat me very well. So I just let it be. My place in West Virginia is on a mountain top. And when I leave to bring my Polaris Ranger home, I have to go very slow down a couple of steep declines. So Even though I stay in low gear, I'm still on the brakes. So I thought that maybe "that" on top of towing it through the mountains to and from home is what did it. And yea, doing your own torque down on your rims is a smart thing. I always find a few that are out of spec.. Now that I think about it, I don't think I checked the torque on my new rims. Guess what I'm doing soon?.................

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 F150 Rotors